Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555D Shuttle in Forward While Using Backhoe

Beckbenj ยท 2023-08-22 20:42

Not sure how this happened, I must have bumped the shuttle lever into "forward" when spinning around to use the backhoe. I turned around to notice the lever engaged after digging for a few minutes. I immediately put the shuttle and the gear shift in neutral and idled around 1200 RPM for a few minutes. I didn't notice any issues afterwards, but obviously this isn't the best thing in the world. How bad did I screw up?

Replies5
  1. #1Check Break2023-08-22 21:11

    Rear tires in the air? Just curious, what gear were you in. Don't worry. Nothing happened.

  2. #2Beckbenj2023-08-22 21:24

    Weight was off of the rear tires, not completely in the air. Transmission was in 1st gear.

  3. #3Check Break2023-08-23 00:31

    So the worst that could have happened is your tires lost some tread if they were touching the ground.

  4. #4Swetz2023-08-23 06:50

    I have done this on my 675E, in the same situation, spinning the seat. For me, it was not an issue, because in order to actually go into gear one must swist the shifter as well. On your D series, it is just throw the lever into foward and it goes...gee, I wonder why they changed it. You are obviously not the first to do this. I would not sweat it. I would be cognizant from now on though when spinning around.

  5. #5Beckbenj2023-08-23 07:29

    I figured this has happened before, thanks for the discussion guys and certainly a lesson learned.