does anybody know the proper type of fluid for the Carrera tranny in a 570? is it possible to drain the torque convertor without dissassembling? About how much fluid is needed? The fluid is milky looking, have no idea how long since last fluid/filter change. Have not had much luck getting the transmission to work. Actually found a broken ground wire on solenoid to the right of for/rev solenoid, fixed it and tranny worked for approx. 5 minutes. I shifted to third put back in forward and no movement again in any gear,forward or reverse. Dont know if I still have electrical or hydraulic problems. Would dirty fluid cause this? or a possible blockage? forward/reverse solenoids are clicking i even removed the forward plug on f/r solenoid assy[engine off/power on] and the plunger does move when for/rev is selected. planning on fluid/filter change and if no luck, removing forward/reverse valve body and dissassembling it. any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:Banghead
I have only used Case Hy-trans Ultra in those transmissions. If you don't have a Case dealer nearby , ask your oil supplier & they may have a recommendation. The oil in the convertor cannot be drained, & you will need 16lts of oil to fill the transmission & check level with engine running. There is a screen behind a oval shaped plate on the bottom of housing - RHS. Check it for broken circlips from the control valve. Milky oil is not good, if it is really bad, it may affect the workings of the valve. Remove the valve & check the circlips x 2 (item 16) at the modulator. I have replaced quite a few of these. Often you can reuse the mounting gasket.
alrman, I figured out one thing, the brakes get their fluid pressure from transmission, and I had no brake pedal, actually had to lift pedal with my foot. I replaced tranny filter, drained tranny, and pulled screen and wallah!!! screen was stopped up tighter than dicks hatband, after a thorough screen cleaning{gummy,sludge type mess, no metal!} I ran about a gallon of clean fluid thru tranny, filled her up and started engine. after bout 30-45 seconds brake pedal came up and tranny finally found forward and reverse!!! I've run tractor bout half an hour so far with no further problems. I'm gonna suggest to the owner that he drain tranny and clean screen after a few hours as I couldnt remove old fluid from torque converter. You made my day sir, many, many thanks!!!!!!!!!!! CODMECH
Sure have some strange things going on there COD. I have pulled out dozens of those screens & never seen anything on them like you have described. Pretty sure the brakes get oil from hydraulic system - so must be some kind of coincidence that pedals have come back?? Good news about getting it going, hope it stays that way.
alrman, there is a flexible hose on top of tranny just aft of shuttle valve that goes to the rear axle just to the right of the center section, I just assumed its for the brakes, regardless I now have a full brake pedal where I didnt have before:beatsme. I wished I would've taken a picture of the screen before I cleaned it, it was so full of sludge it was hard to pull out. the tractor is a former piece of rental equipment, it definately looks like its had a hard life!!!!! COD
Ah yes, the hose that goes from valve to rear axle is for the diff lock
Case '03 580M transmission control valve ALRMAN - I found your post when researching an issue w/my '03 Case 580M. You describe my situation exactly. Drained the tranny oil (looked just like mustard) and pulled the metal screen and there is certainly enough metal on it to account for one, if not 2 circlips. Went to the Case website and one of the two clips has been superceded with a repair kit @ $200. I'm guessing it includes the spring, piston, circlip (everything between part #29 & #25). I haven't pulled these from the machine yet, but in your experience, are the other components damaged when the circlip(s) go? Rather not drop that kind of coin unless necessary.
Does your machine have any hesitation or drive problems? Usually the circlip/snap ring issue is a reinstall of the broken rings only.
Indeed it does. Inherited the machine last fall and it seemed a bit sluggish from the moment I unloaded it from the trailer. Came from sea level to 9000', non-turbo. Inline fuel filter pretty restricted, replaced & saw good improvement, but anything over a mild grade and machine struggles to develop any speed. Over the winter, machine had to idle 30+ minutes before tranny would respond at all. Now it's at bottom of moderate incline and will not climb back up. Pulled oval cover & metal screen from RHS tranny housing & found fair amount of metal and opaque yellow tranny fluid. Went ahead and drained, think I got ~4 gallons out. Going to pull the valve control box next if it doesn't snow here tonight.