Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 C Sitting in the weather for awhile.

Tybee ยท 2014-08-07 19:25

I have been given a 580C backhoe. It has been sitting for a year or more (in the weather). The person responsible for its care tells me that he has started the equipment a couple of time during the year. I'm skeptical of that fact. My plan is to drain the fuel, flush the lines and change the filters, change the engine oil and filter, install a new battery and air the tires. Should I consider pulling the injectors and squirting a little Marvel into the cylinders? Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2014-08-07 21:49

    Was the exhaust open? and how much rain do you get a year in Tucson? What makes you doubt a free backhoe? I'd charge up the battery, check the fluid levels (loosen the drain plug and see if you get a drop of oil or water if anything is high, or suspicious), and run it a while to make sure everything is working right, then run it hard for a couple hours or more, THEN change the fluids and filters. I'd hate to change everything and then blow a hose, or worse. Plus you want to change the fluids hot to get as much of the dirt out as possible.

  2. #2Tybee2014-08-08 19:57

    Good advise. It's not that I'm doubting a free piece of equipment as much as it's I don't want to worsen any problems. The exhaust was not covered. The backhoe is located in Arboles, Colorado. Southern Colorado. They get a fair amount of rain and snow there. I will look for signs of water intrusion prior to getting to nuts with changing the fluids right off. What about the cylinders? Any chance the rings are stuck to the cylinder wall? Thanks again for any input.

  3. #3Delmer2014-08-08 21:10

    Wouldn't hurt to grab ahold of the belt and inch the engine over two full turns, it will take several seconds to let the compression leak off to bump it another inch, but it won't take more than a couple minutes to turn it over and make sure everything's free. You could also disconnect the electrical line from the injection pump and crank it ten seconds at a time until the oil pressure comes up (or leave it off if it's a cable stop?).

  4. #4Tybee2014-08-08 22:09

    Nice. That's what I need to do. Thanks D. I will get some pics of the equipment next time I'm over there. I have a new battery, filters and fuel. What about engine oil? Rotella 15-30? And from what I understand the Case 580 uses the PH-8A or Baldwin B-2 filter. Does the Case need a special hydraulic fluid or will straight 10 wt do? Thanks again for the great advice.

  5. #5nova4812014-08-09 12:28

    This link has the fluid type and capacities HeavyEquipmentForums Ron