Ok first problem to check/fix in morning... I was trying to prime pump I may have successfully put the pin in locked in time position. Do I need to fix the pin if I broke it? The original problem was that machine was low on fuel. I tried starting it almost burning up starter then thought maybe I should check fuel. Machine had been sitting for about 6 months. After reading many posts here tonight I need to ask some questions to set me in the right direction. Currently I have I believe two injector lines open. Do these need to be closed to get pressure in the system? I had fuel coming out good from I believe the top bleeder. The electric shut off is working. Can I remove the shutoff to see if I get good fuel flow to that point? Can I pressurize fuel line to push fuel through system? My manual primer lever has been broken off for years dont usually have a fuel problem. Where should I start? I want to hear my girl fire up usually that is easy! Thanks in advance, Bruce
Are you talking about the plastic push in pin, under the injection pump.?? the one that goes into the cam gear?? You can take a pair of channel lock pliers or side cutters and twist & pull it out of the way. As far as bleeding the pump goes.. MAKE SURE the filters are full, you have flow TO THE PUMP inlet when the engine is spinning.. You CAN take the shut-off solenoid out to see if you have flow WHILE THE ENGINE IS CRANKING.. Just pulling it out is NOT going to tell you anything. Some of the solenoids have removable guts.. plunger & spring.. Later versions are 1 piece, so be careful not to drop the guts.. DONT FORGET to check for 12v AT THE solenoid. FORGET about the TOP bleeder.. its the bottom 1 that bleeds the air from the pressure side.. the 1 by the name plate.. Open THAT ONE and crank the engine until fuel squirts out W/NO AIR.. and tighten. Loosen as many injector lines as you can reach AT THE INJECTORS.. You don't need to remove the line, just loosen them up a few turns.. Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine.. watch for fuel squirting out the lines at the injectors.. Once fuel is there, tighten the lines and off you go.. IF you cant get fuel to the inj. lines, the pumping plungers are stuck after 6 months of sitting, and nothing you can do but get the pump torn down and cleaned. Some folks might chime in w/.. the metering valve might be stuck.. Its possible but not probable, seeing its an electric shut-off and the MV doesn't get moved to the s/o position. BUT just for kicks..IF ALL ELSE FAILS>> WHILE CRANKING the engine.. move the shut-off lever on the pump RAPIDLY back and forth. The s-off lever is the one on the top cover that's not the throttle.. You CAN pressurize the system from the fuel tank.. just open a bleeder on the filter or inj. pump first.. I hope this helps.. let us know what happens.. TPG
pump locked in time I am waiting to pick up my kids who are helping out at church so have not got to see the pump yet today. If I was succesful pushing in the plastic pin, and it sheered off does that mean that it would not keep the pump locked and would work? I did replace the fuel shutoff to the one piece several years ago Thanks so far and I will continue to post as I go Bruce
Ok Im chomping at the bit!!! I wont to get to my hoe. I'm filling my head with info. The top cover has been slowly leaking for years. Could a seal under that cover have pushed some crap into the pump and clogged it up. I also wonder if heating the pump up with a heat gun could help. The lever on top was stiff but it was also wired open so the leaking biodiesel could have just been sticky on the outside. Any tricks or issues removing the top cover? Last night also read about removing side cover next to injector lines. Im thinking removing that side cover is a waste of time right now because I dont think I have good flow at the bottom bleeder Also that oval shaped clip/washer to lock pump...Does it have a right side and left side? Meaning...threads will not allow collar to push in pin on one side where other side would allow collar to recess in clip and to push in pin. Thanks Bruce
Lucas Cav injector pump As I sit here I wonder if I was sabotaged. I hate when people touch my stuff. When my 580 first would not start the farmer I park the machine at said I call my friend, a mechanic. They were not able to get it started and said pump needs to be rebuilt. I dont like to throw money around and know the machine has been great for years. Given the fact the mechanic didnt seem to do much I am further confused why he would remove the wire keeping the shutoff open. Anyone have an opinion. I was able to get fuel out of the bleeders but no fuel to injector lines. Removing electrical shutoff also allows fuel to drip. Guide me, Im thinking a stuck metering valve or now a stuck shutoff valve. Anyone use Kroil or any thing else such as pressure or vacuum to loosen these valves. Please help me out Thanks Bruce
I don't know why I didn't get these post till now?? A day later?? You gave me the answer to most of your questions when you said BIO FUEL.. The plastic pin might have sheared off but you wont know till you pull it out. Theres a metal ring that keeps it in.. take a pick or screwdriver and pop it out.. its a lot easier to get to the clip if the pin is pushed in.. Remove the ring and pull the pin out.. The spacer plate on the pump locking pin has a go, no-go slot.. When the plate is tight, and the screw is tight, it means the lock timing screw is out of the way to run.. When the plate is loose and the screw is tight, the timing screw is touching the drives shaft.. locked. You'll notice on the mounting flange/ear of the pump is some heavy chisel marks.. they SHOULD line up w/ some on the engine block.. That's the PUMP timing marks.. Use them or make some of your own. The plastic pin is for the ENGINE timing. I THINK your wasting your time pulling the top cover but its your call. You'll need a puller to get the pump shaft out of the gear, its tapered.. OR enough room to swing a hammer and knock it off, CAREFULLY.. You can try to loosen a stuck metering valve by holding the throttle wide open, cranking the engine and have someone operate the shut-off lever RAPIDLY about 6,7,8 times and then see if you get fuel AT the injectors. If your not mechanically inclined.. stay away from the top cover removal. The thing about removing the top cover is.. you need parts, ie: gaskets and orings to put it back together or it will leak. No home made gaskets or goo will work.. So your stuck ordering parts, only to find out it still doesn't squirt fuel because the pumping plungers, deep inside the pump are stuck from 6 month old biofuel.. You can contact me direct by putting an a o l dot c o m after my name.
Ok I"ll try tomorrow to free the valve. I pulled the timing pin yesterday it seemed like it was worn on the end. I forget what it looked like the first time I removed it. I know the machine ran out of fuel I still dont know why the mechanic would have removed the wiring keeping the shut off valve wide open. Now its probably stuck. Is there another valve that gets stuck on these pumps or is that it. Is that valve right next to #1 in the cav diagram? Thanks Bruce
I'm not sure what you mean about the shut-off valve.. Theres an electric shut-off solenoid that cuts the fuel off before it hits the pumping circuit. and theres a manual shut-off lever, on the top cover, that gets pulled to move the metering valve to the shut-off position. I think your getting the metering valve confused w/ a shut-off valve.. The MV has a run slot and a shut-off slot.. its the same part for both, the MV does it all. A stuck MV will keep a pump from pumping IF its stuck in the sh/off position. BUT.. The MV should have never gotten moved to the sh/off position because the electric sh/off solenoid stops the fuel.. SO, that leads me to believe the pumping plungers are the problem and the mechanic just compounded the problem by moving a stuck MV to the shut-off position.. but what do I know.. wont hurt to look.. The MV is #182 in my diagram.. under the top cover.
The timing pin has a small nub on the end of it, to engage a hole in the cam gear. IF it got caught, it wont be there..