Having changed transmission fluid for a second time to eliminate water contamination, I still have a white fluid but with the consistency of about 10 wt oil. Was speaking with a friend about the possibility of the radiator transmission cooler being compromised and leaking radiator water into the transmision. He doubted it. His reasoning was that the hydraulic pressure was so much more than could be achieved by the radiator cap that any leakeage would be from the transmissioin into the water of the radiator. This makes some sense to me. Does it to you all? This again pertains to the roughest 580 Ck in the country. Thanks for you experience and wise comments. Packratc.
I would agree with your friend - the oil would fill radiator, before water contaminate oil. Changing the boots at gearshift ( you have done so) is about the only thing you can do. Hard to avoid this situation if machine lives outdoors. Once the contamination is there it is very difficult to get rid of. It will take quite a few oil changes & a few hours of operation in between to help
I don't know a thing about your Case but the cooler should be on the return side of the hydraulic system. Return pressure may be less than rad pressure. Do you need to keep adding coolant? Does your transmission fluid keep rising? Maybe water just sits in a place that does not drain out when you change the oil. Antifreeze is terrible on bearings and gears. Good luck
Thanks for the replies. I did put on a new shifter boot. The weather has not permitted much use of the machine. The radiator has a leak around the fill neck. It's going to be repaired this week. This leak has prevented me from determing if the water/antifreeze level has dropped. Like I said, this is the roughest 580 Ck in captivity. New exhaust manifold arrived in mail today. Packratc
Hey Packrac -- what year is your old 580CK? I just picked up a '71 last week and doesn't sound like she's quite as rough as yours. I've officially named her Ugly Betty.
We need pictures ofthe ugliest ck!
Here's Ugly Betty. She needs a little TLC, but runs good. Hope I'm not hijacking your post Packratc.
She looks like a real war horse, up for any job. Yeah, me too, my Wife said this was too ugly to come home, that was good news! Wife also said: "hey there's a nice one over here in the shed" (only twice the price and it did come home). Do you hoe with the bucket rolled forward, mine moves about when I do that so I open the clam fully. Hope the cooling problem in this thread is solved, sorry for the ot post.
Thanks for the entries and comments. Pictures will come soon. I have to tell you that I've started to clean it up. I think the pale yellow paint is house paint as it comes off with oven cleaner and the hose. An important question comes to mind: If one uses International Red paint in a spray can to repaint the engine and undercarriage on the tractor, is he banned from the Heavy Equipment site? I am really impressed with the picture from HuskerinVA. It looks straighter than mine but it's right up there in the looks department. The smoke from the exhaust is familiar. Another question: If your front loader fork is broken and then welded and reinforced several degrees downward, does this facilitate automatic slopes on the edges of the driveway you're leveling? Is it a modification that promotes better drainage or excessive wear on the cylinder piston on that side? It would appear that that edge of the bucket would contact the ground before the othe side. The bushing at the top of the loader arm back, almost to the dashboard, seems to be completly gone. Thanks again for all your wisdom. Packratc