Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 L series 2 Carraro trans shifting issue

CridersExcavating · 2021-01-11 19:05

Gentleman, I have a 580 l series 2 4x4 hoe that I’m having trouble with. Machine has the Carraro tlb1 transmission with f-n-r on left of wheel, and 1-4 shift range to the right. my issue is that I cannot shift the transmission between 1-4, forward and reverse work just fine. The clutch cutout works just fine, thankfully machine does go into first gear but that’s it, all others are like they are non existent. The shifter will physically not go in to any other gear. removed the shifter housing, and the 1-2 shift rod does move, roughly 1/2 inch but the 3-4 rod does not. Any help greatly appreciated. This problem came out of no where, ran and drove fine to its parking spot, nest start up, nothing....

Replies13
  1. #1CridersExcavating2021-01-15 18:19

    Anyone have any ideas at all?

  2. #2alrman2021-01-15 19:12

    Welcome to HEF @CridersExcavating This is a strange problem. What happens when you place the FNR lever in neutral? Will the 4 speed shift then?

  3. #3CridersExcavating2021-01-15 19:16

    With the shuttle in neutral I still have no range selection with the shifter other than first gear.

  4. #4alrman2021-01-15 19:28

    With the wheels off the ground, is there any wheel spin happening when the machine is in FNR neutral & 1st gear selected? I guess I should ask if the 4 speed changes OK while the engine is stopped?

  5. #5CridersExcavating2021-01-15 19:32

    Machine in air, shuttle in neutral and range in 1 st there is no movement. machine off, same issues the shift level cannot to put into and gear other than 1st. tomorrow I am going to remove the two shift springs and detent balls to see if one may have failed causing a jam of some sort as they are accessible with out any major tear down. the shifter itself shows no signs of wear at rod end where it engages shift rails

  6. #6alrman2021-01-15 19:42

    Must say I've never come across this before - but hopefully, the problem will be in the detent/lockout pins & springs. Let us know what you find.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-01-16 07:59

    Outside chance it could be a broken synchronizer.

  8. #8CridersExcavating2021-01-16 08:51

    I could maybe see that if I had some grinding or other sounds coming from trans. But to have no movement or noise associated has me baffled

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-01-16 11:42

    Does the shift lever slide side to side from one rail to the other ? If the forks and detents are ok, try using a pry bar to shift it while the cover is off.

  10. #10CridersExcavating2021-01-16 13:49

    It does have some hesitation when going side to side between rails as they are not perfectly lined up. As far as the pry bar method I have tried it, but don’t want to put to much force into it and wind up breaking something. I make my money in 1st gear, so atleast it can still work, but would be nice to have the other ranges.

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-01-16 16:50

    Beware that 1st gear may not be fully engaged. Working it hard may result in bad things happening. If the detents in the rails aren't excessively worn, the two slots in the rods should line up and allow the lever to go back and forth easily. Using a pry bar on the forks should move them with very little effort. I see that the parts book shows a kit for rebuilding the synchronizers. Hmmm. Have you considered draining the oil and looking for anything in it ?

  12. #12CridersExcavating2021-01-16 16:56

    I’m pretty confident it is fully in first gear, no hesitations when throttle is applied, and no sense of slipping, I’m working the machine nest week so decided against fooling with it today to eliminate the risk of loosing the gear entirely until I have some down time between jobs.

  13. #13ttoyota2025-03-03 22:56

    What was the verdict? Thanks