My 580 SE brakes work well with RPMs up, but at idle the brakes fade away. Does anyone have a solution? This machine has two master cylinders, but no equalizer valve. The wheel cylinders do not leak. I have been told it would cost 5000 to go thru the system at the dealers. OUCH! I hope it is something I can do myself. If I remove the hydraulic pump can it be tested reliably? Someone mentioned the hydraulic vent may be plugged. Could that be the problem? I am a fair operator, but a p poor mechanic. Tom
Welcome to HEF tomhuck1941! "fade"? - you mean the pedal goes to the floor? or the brakes just don't seem to pull up? The hydraulic system has nothing to do with the performance of the brakes - apart from automatically topping the oil on some models. Some 580E transaxles run wet brakes & if the wrong oil has been used, this will dramatically affect the brake operation. Transaxle s/n 1627642 & up are "wet" brakes.
Well I cleaned the vent valve on the hydraulic tank, now I have brakes on the left pedal but the right still goes clear to the floor. That is a great improvement over both brakes going to the floor. Now I think someone drove it with the park brake set and wore out the right brake. at least now I can stop it with the engine at an idle with the left brake. as artie johnson used to say, VERY INTERESTING>
The brakes are adjustable on all 580E models. Do you know what type of transaxle you have? Have you checked the serial number on the transaxle? Does it have a park brake disc mounted to the front of the transaxle? I/we can give specific advice with more information you supply