Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 SL Battery Size

58jeff ยท 2005-01-31 17:20

What group is the battery for a 1996 Case 580 SL the one I bought has a weak battery & I want one all charged up ready to go when it gets delivered Also any good sources for parts aka gas cap, cowl rubber mostly small stuff I know I can get it from a dealer but am looking for a little better $$ A manual also I checked E bay with no luck THX JJ

Replies4
  1. #1cat3202005-01-31 21:23

    Well I just did my own baterry replacement and I went out and got a Mack Battery it was 950 CCA @0 deg. and it had alot of reserve. now that is for one but if you have aduel system you will have to get a smaller size battery to fit 2 side by side most likey arounf 6-700 CCA .

  2. #258jeff2005-02-01 18:58

    guess I'll have to wait They jump started it easily enough at 4 degrees at the machine yard think I'll do the same so I don't buy the wrong . I should have looked when I knew the battery was bad but it was cold & I couldn't feel my fingers anymore Thanks anyway JJ

  3. #3John Banks2005-02-01 21:07

    Would it be a Group 78?

  4. #458jeff2005-02-15 21:31

    Should have been Group 31 It had dual batteries but they were good - alternator wasn't charging but it tested good I believe the self exciting wire is broken somewhere in the harness will eventually track it down. had to do a hyd oil change when the main suction line blew had to take the radiator out to get to it & finialy got the new tires on it now, I have a BIG hole in the ground & it is getting bigger ! JJ