Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 slow on a hill

Equipmentguy224 ยท 2017-10-19 19:46

Went to move my '86 case 580 SE up a slope/hill earlier this day. It felt like I had to rev it quite a bit higher than usual to get up there but was still a lot slower. Went in 1st gear. Outside temp is about 10c/40f. Could this be due to some oil not being warmed up? I used the machine for about 3min before moving it. Thanks for your input!

Replies19
  1. #1Bls repair2017-10-19 20:52

    Did it get better the longer it ran?

  2. #2Equipmentguy2242017-10-19 21:04

    Don't know cause I only had it running for like 5 minutes. When it was still warmer (a month ago, haven't used it since then) it seemed to go much better.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2017-10-19 21:22

    Check your oil make sure it's the correct oil

  4. #4Billrog2017-10-19 21:49

    I think the temp was closer to 1 C maybe 4 this morning so it would have taken more than a couple mins. to warm it up.

  5. #5Equipmentguy2242017-10-19 22:36

    Which one? There are so many on this machine

  6. #6xgiovannix122017-10-21 20:45

    the shuttle oil

  7. #7Equipmentguy2242017-10-22 22:07

    Thanks that makes sense. Just checked my manual how to check shuttle oil. Tells me to do it at operating temp. Problem is, the oil temp gauge doesn't work. Any way I can estimate wen it is at op temp? Go in 1st gear @ 1500rpm for 5 minutes or something like that???? Thanks a lot!

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2017-10-23 00:02

    Engine should be running when you check the oil level just like your car or truck as the case may be. It should have hyd. oil in it just like the hydraulic system. Also check your declutch solenoid on the shuttle control valve make sure the plunger is going in all the way.

  9. #9RDC_580C2017-10-23 12:25

    If your shuttle temp gauge isn't working, and given it's a decent temp outside, not freezing, just let it run for at least a few minutes, cycle thru F/N/R a couple times (actually moving the machine is optional as you're only after getting the shuttle oil all worked into everything) and then like Coy has said with it in Neutral, running and on level ground check the level.

  10. #10Equipmentguy2242017-10-28 22:46

    Update: I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. Went to my local dealer and picked up some case hy tran ultraction . They told me it is the newer equivalent of case TCH fluid. I only topped it up but did not do an oil change. Machine works fine now . It was about 1.5 qt low. Now I have two questions: 1: is there most likely some damage caused by running on low oil? I don't think it was very low for more than 5-7 operating hours. 2: How do I change the oil and clean the suction screen? The manual doesn't explain it very clearly. And can it be done without the special tool thing? Thanks a lot for your help!!!

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2017-10-28 23:01

    There is a plug on the shuttle oil pan. You can remove certain the pan and clean the screen.

  12. #12RDC_580C2017-10-28 23:07

    Running it too low for too long could cause all manner of issues from the charge pump to the torque converter to everything inside the shuttle. Since you caught it pretty early I wouldn't be too concerned, but do keep an eye on that fluid level and make sure you're not running it low over and over again as you'll just do the same damage over a longer period of time. Unless there is a drain plug on your torque converter, you can't get all of the old oil out of there, and if you do get the TC drained, then refilling it is more of the tricky part as you can't get all 8qts in there at once and you don't want to run it low.

  13. #13Equipmentguy2242017-11-05 16:48

    It Seems that there is a drain plug on the TC but I need to turn the engine so that the plug is at the bottom where I can get to it. Is there a way to turn the engine without the special tool? (See Manual). I guess that both, the TC and PS are filled through the same tube.

  14. #14Delmer2017-11-05 20:06

    Usually you can turn an engine by grabbing the fan and belt and turning both. You might have to apply pressure on the belt to tighten it so the fan doesn't slip. And it will only turn a fraction of an inch at a time, then let the compression leak off, and bump it again. Sure helps to have a helper to watch for the drain plug.

  15. #15RDC_580C2017-11-05 20:52

    If that doesn't work, you can pull the flywheel cover or the starter and use a big flat head screwdriver wedged on the ring gear to walk it around. You'll need a light to look up in there and see it and a helper makes that go a whole lot faster. If by PS you mean Power Shuttle, then yes. If you mean Power Steering, then no. The TC gets it's fluid from the charge pump in the Shuttle, which is the fill tube shown in the first image there.

  16. #16Equipmentguy2242017-11-06 17:52

    Turning the engine by moving the fan actually works really well. I just noticed that around the TC drain plug there Is a leak and a whole lot of gunk that accumulated. Who knows when that oil was changed the last time... When I open the PS oil pan, is there a way I can tell how worn the clutch disks are? Metal shavings in the oil and on the filter screen?? And by PS I do mean Power shuttle. Thanks for your help!

  17. #17RDC_580C2017-11-06 19:10

    You'll most likely have some crud in there, and it should all be tiny parts of clutch discs, but unless it's just a crazy amount it's kind of hard to tell what kind of wear you'd be looking at, and even then how much of that could have gotten in thru the fill tube here and there while it was open is anyone's guess. If it's not giving you any real issues or slipping in Fwd or Rev, then any bits of this and that you'll find in there will be about normal. The fluid around the TC drain plug could be the Shuttle fluid leaking from that drain plug or the charge pump seal, but it could also be engine oil coming from the rear main seal of the crank or even the oil pan gasket. Best thing to do there is try and get it all cleaned up as best you can, then run it a bit more and look for where the fresh mess is coming from. Leaking between the Shuttle and TC and it's the charge pump seal, between the engine and TC and it's the rear main seal or gasket.

  18. #18Willie B2017-11-06 21:06

    I've never owned your precise model. I've had two K series 580 Case machines. Both leaked this fluid. It has always been difficult for me to see oil on the dipstick. First pull is the only opportunity to get a good read. Once oil drizzles off the stick into the tube, it seems to be everywhere on the stick. When low on fluid, even a bit low, it slips. My present tractor had the seals replaced by the Case dealer a couple years ago, it no longer slips excessively. At 5000 hours, it is on its second torque converter, at present, all is well.

  19. #19Equipmentguy2242017-11-06 21:16

    Mine has the original TC as far as I'm concerned... All I know that was rebuilt is the transfer case (its 4x4) and it is 5000 hours also.