Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 super e oil levels rising

Michael Thomas ยท 2019-05-29 06:15

Hello, I bought a case 580 super e not to long ago with an apprent fuel leaking into oil. But after some digging it seems its not diesel. I changed engine oil and filter the other day and then ran it for a couple hours then I noticed the oil went up about 3/4in on dipstick and also the shuttle dipstick went up a bunch also. Seems to me the viscosity on the engine dip stick is of hydraulic and the shuttle is like a 15-40. So I'm kinda stumped on what to check next. Any ideas would be great. Other than the fluid levels increasing it runs great. Lots of power forward and reverse. The engine doesn't smoke either

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2019-05-29 07:47

    Welcome to HEF @Michael Thomas It's not possible for shuttle oil to mix with engine oil. The shuttle oil should be checked with the engine idling. It should read well above full when the engine is stopped. Unfortunately, your engine oil level can only be affected by diesel contamination. Try replacing the lift pump first, if that doesn't fix it, it means the injector pump needs resealing.

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2019-05-29 21:58

    Do you have an aux. hyd. pump or motor mounted on engine?

  3. #3Bls repair2019-05-31 16:12

    Oil will expand when hot . Does level go down when cold?

  4. #4swampman2019-05-31 16:53

    Silly question, but are you wiping off the dipstick after running the engine, then checking?