I got this over the phone from a friend. I will have to go out there sooner or later to see what's up exactly but I hope someone can chime in on this one. He has a 580 Super K that ran fine until recently. He said it got low on power and then died. Several times he was able to restart it but it cranked slowly until speeding up and finally running but now he can't get it to start at all any more and of course it's at the bottom of a hill and can't be drug into the shop. Batteries are fresh. As I type I am thinking bad starter but he is mechanical enough, he would have thought of that. The slow cranking makes me wonder if some transmission or hydraulic pump problem is dragging the engine down. Also dying while underway would point away from any electrical problem. Just fishing around to see if anyone has been here before. Thanks Birken
Could be any number of problems. If it had some type of hydraulic lock happening it would crank fast & then slower not as you describe....... It could have a fuel problem & maybe just like you think - it may have a crook starter. Guess you'll have to check it out. BTW - what's a "Charter Member"? + 3 posts in 8yrs???? where have you been?
I am mainly a truck mechanic but if I have to fix a tractor I know who to ask.... I guess that is not very often. Good thing I remembered my password. Birken
And you have a good sense of humor Birken Vogt. Welcome back to the forum, as it were. I'm with alrman, I think you're likely to find a couple of problems when you get it sorted out. But it sounds likely you're having a fuel supply problem. Keep us updated what you find.
Sorry to have wasted your time. It was a couple of stupid problems. 1. Bad starter. 2. Clogged fuel filter. Regarding number 2 he said that it was a little inline deal ahead of the main spin-on so I wonder if that was OE or if somebody added it later if anyone can advise. I wonder if it would be a good idea to take it out. Birken
The inline filter is OEM and often over looked when servicing.
If it's the inline filter that fits into the inlet fitting of lift pump, it's a Wix 33253, if it simply fits in the fuel supply line before lift pump, it's a 33270. Both these are not media filters, but rather a mesh stainer to keep heavy debris from fouling the lift pump. If you use typical media inline filters, you will be changing them often and the secondary spin on filter isn't really serving any purpose because all the debris is getting trapped in the inline filter.