Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 super L loader drift

MNE1978 · 2024-01-27 20:50

I have an early 2000s Super L that I’ve been messing with…partly for fun, partly to learn. I’m not making money with it, just dinking around the house. When I bought it, the front loader would leak down 6-8 inches then settle into position. Also, when there was a heavy load in the bucket or when I’d lift the front end of the tractor with the bucket to use the hoe it would leak down and need to be readjusted fairly quickly. The 4n1 bucket would not maintain a bite very well, either. I repacked both lift cylinders as a starting point. One side’s seals looked pretty good, the other side had a little damage. I also repacked both of the clamshell cylinders (one was leaking, the other was pretty worn when I got inside). That seemed to help both issues a lot. The clamshell will now maintain its bite and the bucket will lift the tractor indefinitely. I’m still getting that drift downward of about 6-8” though. Where do I go next? Valve issue? One other note: I did notice a little galling on one of the lift cylinder pistons. Related? The picture looks worse than it actually is. The edges are very slightly worn. Thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2024-01-28 09:48

    Looks like something was or is in the cylinder and the piston is hitting it when it is fully retracted. When you repacked the cylinder did you drain the cylinder all the way? You may have some trash in the spool area in the valve and allowing oil to bypass or spool is not going into neutral as it should.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2024-01-28 10:40

    Looks like someone hammered on that piston.

  3. #3MNE19782024-01-29 17:10

    I’m not sure on the piston…that’s how it came out of the cylinder. Yes, I drained both by default. Knocked out the front pins and lowered the cylinders so I could pull the rods…fluid runs downhill! Any insight on how to troubleshoot the valves? Thanks.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2024-01-29 21:21

    How do the levers feel when you move them? You may have to actually remove the valve and pull the spools out to check them.

  5. #5Casetech942024-02-02 23:51

    Does your backhoe have ride control on it. If so do you have it engaged at all times because what you are saying is in line with having ride control on. the barrel side of the cylinder is opened to a accumulator which should give the loader bounce and would settle the loader down after lifting. The rod side of the cylinder is open to tank so it should not be able to lift itself at all. If it is off then look into if the ride control solenoids and see if they are not seating all the way and causing oil to bypass them.

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-02-03 09:33

    Welcome to HEF, CaseTech94 !!

  7. #7MNE19782024-02-03 15:18

    No ride control on this particular tractor. I’m going to dig down to the valve and see if I see anything obvious there. Please keep the advice coming!

  8. #8MNE19782024-02-03 15:19
  9. #9MNE19782024-02-03 15:21

    Messed up the quotes. Oh well.

  10. #10Tinkerer2024-02-03 15:55

    Are you sure of that ? The on / off switch is located straight forward of the gear shift lever. It is a toggle switch.

  11. #11MNE19782024-02-03 16:26

    Wouldn’t it be right in front of the throttle lever for the hoe? I don’t have that. Also no rocker switches at the gear selection or shuttle shift (other than the lights/turn signals.)

  12. #12Tinkerer2024-02-03 21:37

    You were right. you don't have it. Sorry to have bothered you.

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-02-04 02:44

    How could you have known without the pic.?