My apologies if I've missed these questions in search, working with limited time and wanted to throw these out so I can check back and see what I find out after while. I just got ahold of a low-houred 2WD 580B CK in above average cosmetic shape for her age, and all pins and bushings are tight. Hour meter verified by original owner and sits at 2400 hours. 74 Model I believe. Problem is, it's been sitting for about 6 years. The second owner toyed with a bad starter for a long time and now many ring gear teeth are gone. Story I was told was that it was pull-started the last several times it was used before being parked. I didn't know you could pull start a hydraulic shuttle, but one could write many encyclopedias with what I don't know. Anyhow. The thing is going to have to be split to get a new flywheel put in there, clutch I guess while it's split (why not), and I was told someone had heard that you could split them without major problem WITHOUT removing the loader. Now I haven't studied up on this, just asking for some foresight. I'm going to order a service manual tomorrow. Hopefully get this girl ready over the winter.
Yes you can split it leaving the loader on if you have a good level floor, cribbing, jack stands, bottle jacks, small floor crane. You are going to roll the front end and engine out. If it has a front counter weight you have to remove or be very careful with it, work area has to be tall enough to have the loader raised all the way up and secured by some angle/ u supports. It's not a bad job, It just takes time and you have to pay attention to the service manual and think safety first while working around it.
Yeah, Whoever told you they pull started a Power shuttle torque converter machine was sadly misinformed , the TC pump runs off a gear on the rear support bearing for the rotating assembly that is driven by the flywheel. Sheepfoot is right on with his advice. On first glance you are gonna look at the feed pipes for the hydraulic pump in front of the radiator and maybe scratch your head. Clean the pipes up good so the hoses will slide inward, loosen the clamps and slide the hoses to the center, take a small pipe wrench and screw the feed pipes out of the side frame/ reservoir so the radiator will come by, the rest is basic to any split. Keep us posted. Mel
Hello all. I'm about to drop a few bucks on a 580B CK from a friend. It's ugly, but seems to be in good condition. He gave a demo run, and all seems to function w/o spewing fluids or such. IH, good luck with the split. Keep warm. JB
I thought there was a Construction King option with manual clutch??? Reverser through a gearcase manual lever??? Am I misremembering??????
Indeed there was, he did state however that it was a hydraulic power shuttle so was answered within that framework of information.If we were correct answering as we did he will find no clutch just a flywheel with a coupling to the face of the torque converter. Mel
LoL, misremembering, something I do with all too frequency of late.
Welllllllll, when he mentioned pull starting I thought that maybe he ACTUALLY had the dry clutch type,...Doesn't matter, either has to be split regardless...the problem is that I wasn't sure I even remembered the available options correctly in the first place. Now melben has me REALLY confused, as I thought the hydraulic reverser was behind a dry clutch, I swear I remember a clutch pedal for shifting gears!
No apetad the dry clutch machines had a mechanical shuttle that used a synchronizer to mate with the forward gear on the input shaft and the rear gear which was ran through the lower shaft in the shuttle box. They had a clutch pedal with rod linkage to the release fork and throwout bearing with a conventional pressure plate dry clutch As before , he stated in his first post that he did not know the hydraulic shuttle machines could be tow started, leading us all to believe that is what he indeed had. Sorry for any confusion on that. In the power shuttle equipped tractors the "clutch" pedal moved a spool that dumped clutch pressure. Neutral was accomplished by the valve which simply moved a spool to release the clutch pressure allowing the power shuttle clutch packs to relax serving as a neutral for gear selection. So your memory wasn't so bad after all.