Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580b clutch?

Zig ยท 2017-01-28 23:32

Hey guys I've got a question about an old backhoe. It's an early 70's 580 b dry clutch not the converter. I'm thinking I need a new clutch it moves good in 1'st gear a little slow in 2'nd won't take off in 3'rd or 4'th it will go in the higher gears if you get it moving first like going downhill but it pretty well stops again on any uphill grade. Any insight would be aprpreciated. Also if it does need a clutch someone told me you may not have to split this one completely I don't see how but I hope he's right and I'm wrong.

Replies4
  1. #1wrwtexan2017-01-28 23:59

    http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr64553ag45033 here is the Case Construction parts page. For a B model, it is apparently built like or on a farm tractor frame like the John Deere 310A TLB's. I would suspect pulling the engine out of the frame would be the easiest way instead of a split like a farm tractor clutch job as the loader frame won't split. Looking at some pics though, the front half may be able to roll out through the upper loader mount frame.

  2. #2RZucker2017-01-29 01:13

    It may be too late... But have you tried adjusting the clutch?

  3. #3Zig2017-01-29 21:08

    I adjusted the clutch linkage and it got a little better. It looks like the front would roll forward through the loader if you undo the lines going to the pump in the front. Would y'all stick with case fiber clutch I believe I found a site with a ceramic clutch wonder if it would last longer I use this thing a lot to load logs which can be rough on a clutch

  4. #4wrwtexan2017-01-29 21:47

    Go with a ceramic (sintered bronze) pad disc. They will last MUCH longer in a loader application. The only downside is that when they finally do go out, the flywheel will have to be resurfaced and the pressure plate replaced. Fiber discs don't wear the clamping surfaces near as much.