Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580b diff lock

roadrunner81 ยท 2010-02-03 10:35

Can a diff lock be installed on a 580B that was originaly with out. Does it require splitting the tranny or is this an external thing? thank you for your Time?

Replies10
  1. #1Goose2010-02-03 18:13

    It is probably not very feasible to convert over to a diff lock. You would need to replace the crosshaft in the differental to get the longer shaft with the splines and a right side gear with the longer splines for the lock collar to engage. You would of corse need the diff lock housing, gear and linkage parts and also a different right brake housing or possibly reworking the old brake housing.

  2. #2roadrunner812010-02-04 11:04

    Darn, thats kinda what I thought. I think Ill have to get some chains, the B's not to good in the snow.

  3. #3Phil2010-02-04 18:49

    I thought the B was actually very good in snow, but a warm day will test them all even a 4x4. I don't remember seeing a B without a diff lock, maybe the diff has been switched out with a farm tractor unit. If the tires are bald, that doesn't help, chains do work good, I had them on a 580CK for moving logs. Phil

  4. #4roadrunner812010-02-05 00:11

    I'm thinking the diff lock pedal would be to the right of the accelerator pedal? I'll have to take another look tomorrow to see if the unit is there just no linkage. Tires are good.

  5. #5Phil2010-02-05 19:39

    Yes, it's just a small rod with a round head welded on, sticks up through the floor above the right brake, as I recall. Do you have a hoe attachment on your machine? Phil

  6. #6roadrunner812010-02-06 00:50

    Yes on the hoe, I looked throught the floor today and there is another cover bolted to the outside of the brake cover but no linkage?

  7. #7roadrunner812010-02-06 00:52

    pic of hoe on my 580B timing thread

  8. #8Phil2010-02-06 06:00

    There should be an arm to attach to on that small 'cover'. A rod can be fabricated with some 3/8" round steel and 2 pieces of flat bar welded to the end complete with 1/4"hole. The other end originally had a round 'slug' welded to it about the size of a large silver dollar, to save your foot. You will need to make an S bend on the rod also and fit it before welding the slug on the end. Phil

  9. #9TD-52010-02-06 12:55

    Here is the parts book page for the diff lock, should help figure out whats missing

  10. #10roadrunner812010-02-06 13:13

    I guess I'll have to pull the cover to whats there. Thanks