Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580b grinding noise

shocker ยท 2012-04-12 23:49

I have a 580b and I have noticed a grinding noise as the rear wheels turn with each revoulation. I found the outer bearing grease zerks but that didn't seem to help. It seems to be louder when under a load. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks SHOCKER

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2012-04-13 02:34

    If you raise the machine off the ground & turn wheels by hand - is there any play at the wheels? Drain the oil & see if anything comes out apart from oil....... There is a rear cover that can be removed to peer inside & have a good feel around with your hands, while the oil is out.

  2. #2shocker2012-04-13 08:44

    Thanks I drained the oil awhile ago and didn't see anything come out. After all the water came out then the oil water I dinn't see anything. I will try to raise it up here later and see how much play, then maybe pull the cover off. Check it out inside. Thanks Shocker

  3. #3robin yates uk2012-04-13 10:31

    water came out? If there is water in the rear axle no wonder there is a grinding noise!You need to strip it down and see what is damaged

  4. #4shocker2012-04-13 18:40

    I talked to the Case dealership and he said that it is normal for the condensation to get in there,, expecially when someone doesn't watch it. The guy I bought this from probably never did anything with the oils. Tearing into it completely will have to be a winters project if I can find a place to do it or get my shop built. Thanks

  5. #5dwloop2012-04-13 23:21

    Shocker, I have a 580B as well... If stored outside the gearshift can also leak water into the transmission/differential case. Just a FYI... Dave

  6. #6mikey12012-04-14 18:44

    I have recently bought one also, I adjusted the brakes because they are gone like everything else on the old girl, But, I noticed this myself after adjusting the brakes maybe I got them too tight. Just a thought to put in your mind Mike

  7. #7shocker2012-04-15 11:32

    Some one talked to me about the brakes the other day. I am going to try to take mine apart this weekend. See what they look like. Thanks