Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B starting question

69911e ยท 2012-12-11 16:03

1: What is the proper procedure for using the intake heater to start a diesel 580B when cold? I just fixed this and don't want to burn it out by engaging it too long. The solenoid needed cleaning and the heater coil was welded. 2: It does make a relatively loud buzzing when the intake heater is engaged. The way it is wired (gnd of solenoid using heater as return path) the solenoid will cycle on and off. Can you confirm this is normal/proper? 3: It will run with almost no weight on the front wheels /doing wheelies when going up hills. It does have the extend-hoe and a home made weight box under the radiator. I don't have any experience with this type of equipment other than my brothers '69 580CK without the extend-hoe. The '69 seems more balanced. Any way to change this? Should the Hoe be directly backwards or to the side for traveling? 4: Can I run standard R&O hydraulic fluid in the Hydraulic system for the loader(someone gave me a pail). Thanks Ed

Replies2
  1. #1rickw2012-12-12 18:01

    block heater is more effective than intake heater. On our 580ck I was able to remove the threaded plug in the block over by the fuel filter and screw in the block heater element. Directions said to remove filters or housing but I was able to squeeze ir in w/out removing any thing. W/ block heater on you can warm your hands on the head no matter how cold out it is. I fixed our intake heater but it did not seem to help when it was really cold.

  2. #269911e2012-12-13 07:01

    Thanks for the info. Right now it is not stored next to AC power so I thought I would try the intake heater.