Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B Torque Tube gasket

DaveP860 ยท 2014-04-19 22:20

I am new to the forum and have tried the search button but couldn't find the info I need. I have a 1973 580B that has a leak between the torque tube and the transmission. It leaks all the fluid out of the torque tube over night. I have the gasket but I am not sure the best way to install it. I have been told to take the backhoe off and split it that way but I have also been told not to over complicate it and just unbolt the torque tube from the tranny and slip the new gasket in. I also was told to cut the top of the gasket and slip it in. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Replies1
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-04-21 08:38

    Have you checked to determine if the bolts are all tight ? If they are tight, I think I would try cutting the new gasket at the top and replace it that way. Use black RTV on the gasket and let it cure a while before tightening the bolts. Otherwise it is easy to squeeze most of the RTV out of the sealing surface.