Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580B with wet bellhousing

RicksToy · 2025-10-27 15:05

Hi Folks, I have a 1974 580B. It has a 207 engine with power shuttle and from what I can tell, it has a wet bellhousing. I assume that because the starter was a little loose when I bought it and HyTran was leaking there. So my question is about the oil pan gasket. If the pan gasket is bad will HyTran leak into the oil pan? Also, is there a specific method to installing a new gasket? Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies5
  1. #1HoeHoeHoe2025-10-27 16:48

    Hytran shouldn't be in the engine. I'd suspect torque converter shaft seal leaking if it's hytran. Or torque converter drain in leaking ( unlikely) Pull the inspection cover and have a look see. Starter has no fluid in it and doesn't seal any fluid in.

  2. #2stinky642025-10-27 18:15

    580B with shuttle apparently does have wet bell housing and can leak. Use search function at top right of page and search Case 580B wet starter, Husker67NE thread from Feb. 9 2024 for Tinkerer's pic of starter and gasket.

  3. #3HoeHoeHoe2025-10-27 18:44

    Ah my mistake

  4. #4RicksToy2025-10-27 19:53

    Thanks guys, looks like I'm on the right track. I just need to be extra observant when I install the oil pan. Whatever is getting in the oil pan doesn't look like coolant or any water. Cooling system pressure test was good, one small drip every 5 or 6 seconds from the front cylinder. I had 20 lbs. or more on the radiator while testing. I'll update in a day or two. Thanks again.

  5. #5RicksToy2025-10-28 20:35

    Well, I got the new pan gasket and it appears to be made for many different models. And, of course, no installation instructions. No help from the supplier. Does anyone have experience installing the gasket on this type oil pan so the Hytran won't leak through?