Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c brake problem

Broadway1 · 2024-05-12 21:21

I just purchased a Case 580c backhoe. The guy I bought it from said the brakes were rebuilt a couple years ago. His place was completely flat and when I test drove it the brakes seemed to work fine. I brought it home to my very steep property and found that the left brake was working fine but not the right. I noticed fluid leaking at the slave cylinder so replaced that. I then had good pedal pressure but right brake still wouldn't stop the tractor. I raised the wheels and put in forward but the right wheel wasn't moving. I gave it more throttle and it still didn't move. I touched the right brake pedal and it moved, when I let off the pedal it stopped. I took the brake cover off and removed the brake assembly and it was indeed new looking. Can the disc assembly be put in backwards? Is there anything else that would cause this problem?

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2024-05-13 18:12

    The disc assembly can be put on backwards, it should be installed with open side toward trans housing.

  2. #2Broadway12024-05-29 20:19

    Thank you I suspected that was the problem and it worked. Manual says 'splined disc side must be installed next to transaxle case' but if you do that on both sides one will be backwards.

  3. #3raypan2024-08-01 12:44

    Hi all, New to this forum and backhoe ownership as well. Forgive me if I am not following proper procedure on this forum. 1980 Case 580 C, have been using it without any issue until the other day when I noticed a clunk and sort of lockup when backing or going forward. it frees up while driving at normal speeds but it does it when changing from forward to revers and vice vers.At the same time, I noticed my right brake pedal goes to the floor with zero resistance. Almost like something became disconnected. Left brake pedal works fine. Could a broken pedal return spring or some other linkage failure cause the right brake to lock up causing the clunk? Hoping it isn't anything more serious. Thanks up front for all your help and advice.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2024-08-01 12:54

    Your brake return spring is located under dash at pedal linkage. Check your master cylinders behind dash housing. There is a cover on top of dash housing held in place by two screws. Use DOT3 brake fluid if low. If that doesn’t help then you’ll have to check brake disc and bands in brake housing on side of transaxle.

  5. #5stinky642024-08-01 18:10

    If your r/s pedal just went to the floor like something became disconnected, after you fill the masters and push the pedal a couple times look underneath for something dripping/leaking. May have a brake hose/line blown out.

  6. #6raypan2024-08-02 07:07

    Thanks for the replies guys, I checked the master cylinder and it was low, filled it, pumped the brakes and sure enough,, a small puddle underneath. the rubber brake hose blew out. So that solves my brake problem. Would that brake not having fluid cause the wheel to grab once in a while? Like I said, it only happens going from one direction to another. Thanks again for the help.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2024-08-02 07:38

    It shouldn’t make the wheel grab as you say. But I’d repair the master cylinder hose and see what happens