Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C for very cheap??

coopers ยท 2008-01-25 16:51

Hey guys, So there's this 580C backhoe for sale near my house, the guy says it "needs motor work" and he's selling it $2500 OBO. Now to me that screams major problems because I have never seen a 580C for that low unless it was in horrible shape. Would anyone else agree or no? I am thinking about calling him and seeing what is wrong just for last, but that is a low price IMO for a 580C backhoe. Blake WA

Replies8
  1. #1cat3202008-01-25 19:30

    well back over 13 years ago I bought a 580C it was a '76 needed an engine rebuild it ran but it had to be done it had probably over 10K hours on the whole machine it only had one set of working brakes no emergency brakes and the trani would die in fourth after awhile it has a shaft leak and I was always replacing seals on it. but it worked for quite a while with the just the engine work and the $6500 we paid for it.

  2. #2Phil2008-01-25 20:19

    You can't go wrong for that price, if you are willing and able to do the work. I have paid $6500 for the same thing.The 207 is rather hard to find parts for, like a block or crankshaft. Moving costs would be very low and that is a plus, also the fact that you could part it out and easily get you're money back. Another option is to buy a good 580C and use this one for parts. The earlier 188 diesel will bolt right in I am told and I almost did this to a D not long ago. Keep in mind that very early 188's like those used in farm tractors, 430 and 530, may use the small liner, and I am not sure of the long term liner sealing issue here. There is a serial # check to see which 188 you have. Also some farm tractor and dozer 188 block's have no tach drive which makes some customers paronoid about the # of hours when you sell it someday, unless the generator tach drive is used, and that looks old. Others please comment on this conversion, I'm learning too. Take a look at the rest of the machine to see what it may need. Do you have the time and money for repair? Buckets, tires, cab condition, lots of things to check. When viewing the machine, don't seem interested. Don't run the machine down, but seem concerned about it's problems. As mentioned in above post, other problems you may come to inherit. Because the machine is not running, you don't know what other deficiencies are there. I can't think of a better old backhoe to dump money into than a C, unless it's a D, or E .Good luck Phil

  3. #3coopers2008-01-25 21:40

    Thanks, any more observations and comments welcome. I figured that there is always the possibility for more problems with the machine. I'll call this guy in the next day or two and see what he says and maybe I'll go take a look at it. I'm not in a huge hurry to get a machine yet, and quite frankly I'd like to find a 580D w/ 4x4 extendahoe but I wouldn't be too quick to pass up a good opportunity for a C, we'll just see how much work the engine needs. Blake P.S. I was looking to get the link to show you guys w/ this post still in writing and it might be gone! haha, that was quick. Oh well, I'll keep my eye out for more, they come up every now and then.

  4. #4coopers2008-01-25 21:56

    ....and I still have his number luckily. Blake WA

  5. #5Phil2008-01-26 07:47

    Let us know how you make out. I don't mean to come across as the know it all type, but I had a 580D 4x4 once and it was a beautiful machine; I noticed the machine is more stable driving around the yard. Must be the added weight in front. I very rarely see one for sale, they must not have made too many. Phil:canada

  6. #6cat3202008-01-26 10:17

    If ya have to jump to a newer machine i would look for the E I think that is where they made engine changes .The D if I am remebering right was pretty close to the C except a new cab redesign and the added 4x4.

  7. #7coopers2008-01-26 14:40

    ...well it is gone. Oh well. That went really quick, I checked when he posted his ad and it was at 7 am! I have been considering an E too. I think, cat 320, you're right, the D was just a much better cab design (was reading it in my case history book) and the added option for 4x4. Boom lock position different too but that's it I think. Phil, you're right, they must not have made a ton of those because I very rarely see 4x4 D's for sale. I wouldn't die if I had a 2 wheel drive backhoe, put up with one for 3 years and it worked...but next time I see something good I'll let you guys know. Blake WA

  8. #8Construct'O2008-01-26 16:28

    For that price,someone figured they could take the backhoe off and mount it on something else and just use the backhoe.