Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c Gauges TEMP FUEL TACH PRESSURE

Shrmndlit · 2012-02-07 15:53

So I am in the process of searching for my gauges and am wondering if I need to worry about resistance or type for the fuel temp and pressure or are most gauges the same? Also how in the world do I find a tach? Do most tachs take the same type cable and is there a chance to go digital? I would like to go with all white, backlit, marine gauges and keep them all the same brand or type. Any Help, hints or suggestions are more than welcome Thank you

Replies4
  1. #1TheOldMan2012-02-07 16:18

    search this forum for 580C you'll find loads of material. Check "the C I'm working on - you'll see what I did for gauges. Google Tiny Tach for a digital.

  2. #2Shrmndlit2012-02-07 17:12

    Now you know me better than that I have search a hundred times and read yours C im working many many times for guidance and what others have used, however I am looking at different gauges and want to know about other options. The processes you and GWS have gone through in your posts have been most informative and I thank you both for your wealth of knowledge. I looked at the tach you put on yours but want to keep the gauges the same plus the tiny tach does not say its backlit and what happens at the end of the 5 year life, of the batt? Just does not seem the route I want to go. I do like the fact it keeps track of hours but still rather go with a full set. I know you also gave most of the warning lights up but if I can I would like to keep as many of them as I can. I am taking the shell of the dash to a friend that works in an aircraft shop and am going to have him Reinforce the inside with sheet metal then re-fiberglass the whole thing taking from other posts I will be installing the two holes on the side for the break cyl bolts, using your lid idea for top, keeping the center gauge part with the lights just installing fiber for the center with cutouts for new gauges have almost all toggle switch holes being used for original purposes and new lights. Also plan on using a marine plug between fuse block and dash for easy removal. I know your not keen on that idea but think a marine plug should prevent corrosion. I think I already told you about replacing all wiring on machine with new marine wire. Don’t want to make this post to long as I hate to read long ones myself but any Ideas are more than welcome or any information on gauges will be appreciated.

  3. #3GWS2012-02-07 23:44

    If you get the sending unit that matches the gauge it will work fine for oil and temperature. From what I have been able to find out, the fuel sending unit has the same resistance range as most automotive sending units so it will likely work with most gauges. I haven't changed mine because I don't want to remove the engine right now. I prefer to go with electric gauges so I don't have a line that can break. I have had an electric oil sending unit on my small tractor for over a year now and it is working great. It's the same gauge that "TheOldMan" used on his dash I think. I'm out of town this week and can't recall the name of it. FWIW, get gauges with either stainless or aluminum bezel so they won't rust over time.

  4. #4TheOldMan2012-02-08 07:35

    My main reason for using the gauges i did, I fond them on sale at Summit Racing for $4 each.