Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Mech. Shuttle jumps out of FWD

PAwrestling#1 ยท 2016-03-23 12:40

Hello all. Haven't been on in awhile and probably have posted this issue year or more ago but cant find it. Was wondering if someone could tell me what would cause my shuttle to jump out of fwd as soon as you let clutch out. Reverse is fine. Only thing I have noticed is the linkage underneath that has the 2 ball joint ends are wore out bad. Alot of slop in linkage didn't know if that would cause this or not. Haven't taken the shuttle out of machine yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Replies17
  1. #1PAwrestling#12016-03-24 07:19

    anybody??

  2. #2melben2016-03-24 10:22

    Pa, that unit uses a syncro unit similar to the older models, just packaged in a box removable easily. the syncro assembly is in all likely hood worn. There is a detent on the shift rail that should have a definite snap when shifted. That spring could be weak and you may not feel the snap into gear. I'm bettin on the syncro assembly being worn.

  3. #3PAwrestling#12016-03-24 12:53

    Melben when you say the shift rail is that meaning inside shuttle?

  4. #4melben2016-03-24 19:15

    Yes, the shaft that moves back and forth to shift the reverser, the (rail) should have notches on it that a spring loaded ball sits in to keep the shifter in position and syncro ring engaged. If possible you should try to get a print of that unit. They were rare in our territory and I have only been in one or two of them.

  5. #5PAwrestling#12016-03-30 07:45

    Would the detent ball only affect it jumping out in forward tho? I cant make it jump out of reverse. THats why I kept thinking it was a linkage problem or adjustment problem.

  6. #6Tinkerer2016-03-30 09:28

    You should be able to feel the ball side in and out of the detent on the shaft. If you can it is probably a syncro problem like Mel said.

  7. #7PAwrestling#12016-03-30 09:46

    I will check tonight. Havent run it since last summer but if I remember right it can be felt from nuetral to reverse but not so much to forward.

  8. #8PAwrestling#12016-03-30 19:24

    Putting it in reverse it falls right in you can feel it in the lever nice and smooth and easy. In fwd you can't feel detent ball really fall into place more of a stiff spongy feeling in the lever at the top of the shift.

  9. #9PAwrestling#12016-04-01 07:09

    Still should I be looking internally with this condition above or does this sound like linkage issue. Ive had so much issue with this and adjusted the linkage so much im not sure where it should be or how to tell if Im getting full stroke of shifter. Im probably have just been adjusting for the wear thats happening inside possibly. I know the ball joints on linkage is definately shot. They flop around something fierce. I will tear the shuttle out hopefully this weekend and take some pics and try to figure out how to post them here.

  10. #10Tinkerer2016-04-01 08:55

    Before you take the shuttle apart why don't you replace and repair everything that is worn out in the shift linkage ? Even after you replace the synchronizers you will almost certainly have to do it anyway. There is a chance the linkage is your problem. If I have the correct parts page take a look here -----> http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ar793588

  11. #11PAwrestling#12016-04-01 12:31

    I think that the route I go since they need replaced anyways and probably internals too. But worth a shot. Hey Mel, If there's nothing I can visually see would you take a look in back of a truck if I make a trip W port?

  12. #12melben2016-04-03 22:07

    Yep. be glad to, am having hernia surgery the 11th so will be a little gimpy for a few days but we can work it out. How far are you from W port?

  13. #13PAwrestling#12016-04-04 06:59

    Around 1 1/2 hrs.

  14. #14PAwrestling#12016-04-05 07:08

    And it'll be a month or so yet before I get started on it Mel. I got so many projects right now my head is spinning. haha

  15. #15Grady2016-04-05 08:51

    PAwrestling, Let us know what you come up with when you get it figured out as others here have had that issue and can benefit from your [and Mel's] experience with this. Thanks. - and good luck on your project list

  16. #16PAwrestling#12016-04-06 08:28

    Sure will Grady

  17. #17PAwrestling#12016-04-19 16:38

    O.k. Well Im starting to doubt the tie rods on the control linkage is the problem now that the first one arrived today at my door. I "Assumed" these tie rod ends would be similar to that on a vehicle that when new the threaded stud on them would be stiff and moves with some force and when worn they flop around like a dishrag. This new one in the bag flops around at will just like the ones on the hoe now??