Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Nuetral Switch

farmkid16_2002 ยท 2013-07-14 21:30

On a case 580c I have found out that the switch beneath the left brake pedal is the neutral switch. This hoe had a enclosed cab on it and over the years they have gutted it. There are no wires coming off the switch. I do not have a electrical schematic so I can not figure out which wires are supposed to go where. They brakes are miss adjusted but when going forward and you try to stop the machine keeps wanting to go forward. I know there is also a switch on the right brake pedal but once again do not know where or what wires go it. Are these supposed to kick it out to neutral right? Thanks alot

Replies7
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-07-14 22:41

    The switch on the brake pedal works with the switch on the dash, up is the drive, trans stays engaged. Down is the kick out, brakes on and kicks out the trans. The switch on the floor is used as a clutch cutout and mostly for shifting gears when on the go. The wires may be tied up, think their should be two wires to each switch, someone had a elect schematic one here not to long ago. I will look also.

  2. #2PAwrestling#12013-07-15 08:01

    WHat are these switches and where are they located and can you explain what could be expected if they werent hooked up or operating at all? Im having some issues also.

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-07-15 08:59

    On the dash lower edge under the F/R lever is a switch with two positions, (this is on the 580C backhoe with a power shuttle only) not a mech shuttle. When you move the switch up, it is in the drive position, this means when you use the foot brakes the trans stays engaged and does not dump the oil going to the f/r clutches, machine will still pull with the trans along with braking. With the switch in the down position, when brakes are pushed (master brake or individual) it dumps the oil to the f/r clutches and allows brakes to be applied and drive not pulling. Two quick thoughts when this is used, pull into a dirt pile to load the bucket and need full engine power to brake out your bucket load with out having a combined trans/hyd stall going on. Machine has a 4x1 bucket and you hold with the brakes using the hyd to bite your material with the bucket and you want a faster bite but don't need the machine trying to pull. The switch on the floor can also be pushed by itself for the same reasons, when brakes are not needed, when needing more engine power and not a trans/hyd stall, shifting thru the gears while moving and not putting the shifter lever on the dash in neutral. If the switches are not hooked up, you will have the pressure going to the f/r all the time while the lever is engaged, it does not hurt unless being in a stall for a long time and heating the trans (shuttle) oil.

  4. #4PAwrestling#12013-07-16 05:59

    What is the purpose of the nuetral switch on the left side of the shuttle on a mech. shuttle? It has never been hooked up on my machine which I just bought a new switch and have to do some repairs on wire connector but just wondering what I should look for with it operating now opposed to when it wasnt hooked up.

  5. #5sheepfoot2013-07-16 06:48

    It is used to be sure it's in neutral before starting, current can't make the loop to the starter, sounds like it's been bypassed.

  6. #6farmkid16_20022013-07-16 21:57

    Does anyone have a schematic on it. I can wire the switches but I do not have a schematic. Plus the only switch on the left side of my dash is a toggle to turn on the lights and not for the neutralizer. I would like to get the foot switch working atleast to make it easier to drive around as the right brake is not holding well.

  7. #7nova4812013-07-17 13:10

    PM me your email address and i will email them to you. I think they come out clearer in an email. Also let me know if it's a mechanical or power shuttle. Ron