Hi all: My first post. My ring and pinion gears are broken. On a older (1979) 580C 1. Can the differential center wheel and ring assembly be removed with out removing the axles? If so, then I should be able to get the pinion gear out through the transaxle case. The manual show entire transaxle on bench. I would really hate to have to remove axles as wheels are on it. Thanks much Richard
Welcome to HEF richard22c! The cross shaft (crownwheel carrier) won't come out without removing the two bull gears. The pinion shaft is the first item to install during a rebuild. You need to remove the top shaft with the synchro hubs to do this. To carry out any of the above, you need to drive shafts with a long drift, (sometimes a 10lb hammer is required to move them) from both the rear & front of the transaxle I would not even hesitate to remove the transaxle from the machine to do this repair. A few hrs effort & you will rebuild the transaxle in complete comfort, not spending hours on your knees..... (with many colourful words filling the air ) Enjoy! :drinkup
i agree removing the axle is the best idea you can have doing this repair. both axles need to be slid out to remove the 2 larger gears. then the counter and main shaft needs removed to change the pinion. I suggest all new bearings and races while your in there
Thanks much for your responses. Looks like I am going to find mechanic to do this, or sell as is. I am too weak for such a job (health reasons). Was putting brakes on and found this problem. Too bad. Really good machine. Anyone interesting a 580C with extendahoe? Meter shows 3000 hours. Thanks again Richard
I just finished doing my 580C. I did it in place. To get the bull gears out and out the way, I took a sawall and cut the frame work above the transaxle out. Once all was put back together, I just welded that piece back in. I didn't have to remove the back axles.
Fishfighter: Once you had all the parts, about how long did it take you to do this job? Thanks Richard
Couple hours to install. Really not that hard. Getting everything clean took a couple hours in itself. I also installed a big magnet with two part epoxy at the bottom/back of the sump. If there are any metal pieces to float around in the oil, I am hopping the magnet catches all of them. Just a little insurance there. Best price I found and they do have everything. http://e-backhoeparts.com/advanced_search_result?search_in_description=1&keyword=A168547
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Really! Couple hours! You have boosted my confidence. I use to be auto mechanic, but health is weak now. Be nice to do myself. Did you not have to remove the gear box cover, shifter, and the main shaft, to remove the pinion shaft. How hard was that? Then that bearing on pinion shaft p/n A30116, this is pressed on right? I can get a press or take to automotive shop. Manual show several steps just to get the main shaft out. thanks much!
FishFighter: Did you maybe take photo of how you cut case to bull gears out? Thanks Richard
Yes, I did have to press it, but I added a little heat and I put the shaft in the freezer to reinstall. The gear shifter, just unbolt and it lifts right off. That cross member that holds the seat, I had cut it off about 1" from the main frame on each side. Installing it back, I welded a tab on each side to hang it in place, then welded it to the frame. I did cut the tabs off and finish welding after so the floor plate was flush. Before you start pulling everything, pressure wash everything first. Then mic everything. I'm in heart failure, so I can feel your pain as for as doing heavy work. A side note. They show the tool that fits on the ring gear shaft end. I got around that by installing the ring gear shaft, then installing the plate seals, then the brakes. After that, I installed the bull gears. That help not messing the outer seals. The only problem doing it that way is that you are not micing the distance/play. I might of screwed up there, but I used the same amount of shims as before. The way I look at it, it should be close enough. I don't use my hoe on the road, just the farm. Oh, that cross member is less the 3/16 thick.
Fishfighter: Thanks for your help. I can get press at Harbor Freight, been wanting / needing one for a while. I have mig welder, not arc welder; 3/16...that's good. I have bull gear cover, brakes off, side bearing housing off. Will look at tomorrow to see where you are cutting the seat cross member. I can see a marking through the differential / side bearing hole on the bull gear. Does this marking align with side gear per step 167, page 6214-41 of service manual? I have moved side gear from where it was since taking brakes off, so if there are alignment marks, I need to get back the way it was. Thanks again. I might be slow, but maybe I can do this.
That marking just shows that some gears are for forklifts and some gears are for backhoes. You will see that center of the gear teeth for backhoe gears, there is a split of the gearing teeth. The bull gears do have a marking to which side faces inward. I marked those gears from which side they came from. I wanted to keep gear to gear match. Look, I am still flexible. And things are tight. If I were to do it again, I would drop the transaxle. First remove the driveshaft. Use the hoe and lift the rear tires, unbolt and use the hoe to get the tires off. Lower the rear end some, then block the transaxle. Unbolt it. Then raise the back end and use the hoe to lift the rear end more and just push the hoe forward to clean the transaxle. Use the stabilizer's to help you do this.
this is how I did it.. I actually have it on youtube lol
Yep, it would add a couple hours to the job, but it would make it so much easy over the long run. Also, one still doesn't have to remove the axles to do the job.
xgiovannix12: Watched your you tube. Great work! I don't have telehandler to remove transaxle, so will have to cut seat cross per fishfighter. Fishfighter: Thanks for your response. Confused. What are you calling “backhoe gears”? Are these the differential side gears? Ring gear? Gear in the transmission? Parts manual page 226 shows ”identification groove” on the side gear. Does this mate with marking on bull gear? I am sure once I tear into (slowly) things will work out. I will start sometime “soon” when I have more energy. Might have some more questions on transmission tear down and rebuild. Thanks again. Richard
Side gear #18 that has the ID mark. Ones without that mark are used in a Case forklift. Yes, those are the side gears. They just go in and the bull gears connect to them. There is no timing them as for as any marks. http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-58...4X/DIFFERENTIAL-TRANSAXLE-0Y13/?#partdiagrams If you going into the shuttle drive, I had to do mine too! So, yes, I can help you there too!