Hey gentleman, Quick question if someone can help. I'm looking to re-build my instrument cluster on our 79 580C with the 207ci engine & use mechanical gauges. My question is, does anyone know the thread size for the stock sending units(oil/water units)in the engine block? The reason I'm asking is that my machine is 250 miles away and want to make sure I have the right bushings to finish the install when I get back up there. Thanks in advance for any and all help, Ken
The Oil sensor is a 1/8 MIP, 27-TPI The Water sensor is a 3/4 MIP, 14-TPI (same sensor for the power shuttle temp also)
A big thanks RDC, that's what I was looking for
Welcome.
well, I got my dash done! thanks to RDC, got the oil pressure, water and shuttle temps plumbed into the engine, traced out my wires for the air and hyrdo filter indicator lights and got the light test switch cleaned and that is working also. now to order some new rocker switches for my lights and wiper. the ol' girl is a work in progress but she still runs great
Dang that looks GOOD!!
I'll Second That! Nice Job. Tom
Nice looking dash rescue. Mine needs the same treatment. What's the bungee for?
Grady, thats to keep the shuttle in forward gear spring is gone and so it likes to slip down into neutral .......thats on the list of thing to fix
That sounds a little like more of a linkage adjustment issue or maybe a case of everything just being a shade worn out there so it's not going forward enough. Even with that lever spring missing on mine when I bought it, as well as finding out a bit later that the detent ball and spring were missing (down on the shuttle itself) it would still 'lock' into forward and not slip down on it's own. Is the solenoid on the left side of the shuttle tight? Looks like a big can and the linkage lever is between it and the shuttle.
There's no shortage of things to fix on these old rigs so keep that bungee handy after you fix that issue because you'll need it somewhere else. Still a good machine for the money and still doing the job after all these years - bungee and all. Good luck with yours.
I need to get my air and hydro light hooked up on my 580 c could you tell me what color wire you found to hook up to get yours lights workings I did the same thing with my dash and put in new gauges also but didn't get those last 3 and battery light