Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c swing cylinder bushing installation

jpeters ยท 2013-07-22 12:50

Just wondering what to use or how to install these in the lower portion. I can make a driver on my lathe pretty easy but wondering if I use dry ice to freeze these will they crack if I try to drive them in? I can press the other ones in on the top plate but it`s pretty hard to put the heavy chunk of iron into a press.

Replies2
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-07-22 23:04

    I would just drive them home with a driver, dry ice works but you have to be fast, also used a chain and stub 20 ton jack, they really don't take a lot to put them in.

  2. #2jpeters2013-07-24 21:50

    Got them in there! it was not easy. The bore that they went into was .009 smaller than the bushings. I had to heat the bore to 350F . That made the bore "grow" .007. It still took a 20 lb sledge hammer and lots of pounding.