Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c trenching bucket question

jpeters ยท 2017-02-24 20:16

I am rebuilding a badly abused 12" trenching bucket. It was used as a battering ram I believe and it has a slopped out bushing that I have to repair with my line boring equipment. This bucket has no teeth on it and I am wondering if I need to weld some on. The soil here is hard black dirt.

Replies10
  1. #1Bls repair2017-02-25 16:10

    Having teeth on a bucket has its pros and cons Pros ,digs hard material better ,fit more material in bucket,fits into cracks in rock to help pull them out Cons, easier to snag utilities when digging around them ,leaves loose material on bottom of trench,when back filling you tear up what ever you put the dirt on(dirt,blacktop,concrete,etc)

  2. #2xgiovannix122017-02-25 17:13

    i like to have teeth on my 12 inch bucket. We have a lot of hard digging here

  3. #3jpeters2017-02-25 20:28

    Thanks guys for the input. I think I may just leave them off for now.

  4. #4Billrog2017-02-25 22:11

    I have a toothed 12" bucket and ended up welding a plate over the teeth . Like mentioned easier to dig without hooking utility's and a backhoe has plenty of power to dig some pretty hard ground with a 12" bucket and no teeth. You can always weld some shanks on and add teeth if you feel you need them.

  5. #5xgiovannix122017-02-25 22:31

    plate on the teeth is a good idea I always wanted to do that but I have a 36 with no teeth to explose existing services the 12 only gets used for trenches and cutting logs

  6. #6Bill Smith2017-02-28 08:10

    We work in oil refineries and all digging type equipment must have no teeth .

  7. #7xgiovannix122017-02-28 16:49

    dont blame them

  8. #8Bill Smith2017-03-01 08:03

    Sorry Don't get it Xgi

  9. #9JS580SL2017-03-01 12:29

    Do utility work in the Boston area, go with teeth

  10. #10Bill Smith2017-03-02 07:08

    Ah Gotcha