Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580ck 1970 ringss help please

liljhon · 2013-11-26 19:58

I recently purchased a 580 ck, was having trouble starting it a getting I to throttle up, drained fuel,checked return lines,etc...when I went back to try it again,my father in law was running it with ether........now......guess what,,,,,, very bad noise as well as bad injector pump.... can I remove listings if need be to do a ring job with motor in it? Drop pan,remove caps,pull listings,'re ring it and reassemble it?----- I'm using around house for wrenching an some form work.maybe septic system ans drainage work.... want to repair I myself, need a little guidance... thanks go input.... My plan is to check compression to see if it's rings .....or should I replace engine with used or rebuilt...big job?

Replies4
  1. #1REDDEATH2013-11-27 12:19

    Hello and welcome to the forums If you’re getting bad noises from the engine I would rebuild it make sure you check for cracks in the head and cylinders. The kit is about 6 to 8 hundred dollars but it’s better than getting a used engine just to find out it need to be rebuilt too. You first need to find out if it is the engine knocking would more than likely be a spun bearing, but without being there I don’t have a clue so check ever thing don’t skip anything you would hate to rebuild the engine to find out it was the fan blade hitting something. Good luck keep us posted

  2. #2mitch5042013-11-27 13:24

    If you're hearing knocking while it's running on ether, that may be normal. All diesel engines knock while breathing an overdose of ether. Did you have this engine running recently? If so, how was the oil pressure? have you checked compression, pulled the valve cover to see if valves are stuck? When you are talking about removing listings, I guess you mean pistons? If

  3. #3liljhon2013-11-28 14:16

    I did have it running before, it would start by only idle at full throttle. I read and did all of the recommended things on here to try and remedy, but didn't help... then next time I tried to start it wouldn't run at all, I removed fuel line at injector some fuel coming out but not much. I am assuming after th other thing I did, the injector pump may not be generating enough pressure. Is there a place to buy. Rebuild kit, have mine done or buy a rebuilt one? Thanks

  4. #4Tinkerer2013-11-28 14:34

    Don't put the problem on the injector pump just yet. You need to do some basic diagnostics first. Is there a good flow of fuel from the tank to the filters ? How about from the filters to the injector pump. Is there a transfer pump between the tank and filters and is it working ? Have you bled the air out of the entire system all the way to the fuel injectors. There is a lot of information in this forum about the 580's and how to get their fuel problems corrected . Were you cranking the engine over when you checked the flow at the injector ?