Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580ck backhoe clutch power shuttle issues

rob.duncan · 2015-06-14 14:00

I bought a 580ck backhoe. I was able to get it started and after adding hydraulic fluid the loader and backhoe are working well. However, the clutch does not seem to work. If I start it with the clutch in it wants to take off. I can start it by placing the power shuttle in neutral, but then I can't put the power shuttle in forward or reverse...the gears just grind. I have tried with the clutch in and with it out. I should be able to move the power shuttle into forward or reverse without using the clutch....right? It seems like I have two problems. The clutch is not working and the power shuttle is not working. I did check fluids and the tranny oil is over filled and the power shuttle fluids were really low so I added hydraulic fluid to the power shuttle fluids and it still does not work. Any ideas?

Replies21
  1. #1Grady2015-06-15 23:33

    I think you might have more than two problems now. I would suggest you get a manual and read it. I'm pretty sure the shuttle on a ck doesn't take hydraulic fluid and you do need to push in the clutch to shift into forward or reverse. Many times when oil appears to be overfilled, it is because water has got in and sinks under the oil forcing it up higher. If you loosen the drain plug without taking it out completely, the water will leak by the last couple threads before any oil comes out. Tighten it back up when oil starts coming out or just change the fluids since it's probably overdue anyway. The manual will tell you what kind of oil to use and where.

  2. #2Grady2015-06-16 01:21

    I looked at a 1980 580c that had the optional power shuttle with torque converter. That one might take hydraulic fluid, I'm not sure. I think they stopped making the 580ck in 1971. Do you know what year yours is? You can look it up on the tractor data website by serial number. If your clutch linkage is connected and properly adjusted but the clutch still won't disengage, you can try to free it by starting it in low gear after it has warmed up in neutral. Do it somewhere safe where you won't crash into anything and know how to shut it down before you start. Sometimes the clutch plate will stick to the flywheel if it has been sitting outside for a long time. CK's came with gas or diesel engines but only diesel after that model. [I think]

  3. #3rob.duncan2015-06-18 15:05

    It is a 1969. I do have the manuals. I know you need to use the clutch, but I still couldn't put it into gear even with the clutch pressed. I fiannly realized that the two issues were related. It was just a stuck clutch. I started it in neutral. Lifted the wheels off the ground. Turned it off. Put it in gear. Started it so the wheels were turning in the air. Dropped the wheels to the ground but kept the bucket on the ground holding it in place and the clutch popped free. Problem solved. Next I will drain the water put of the transmission as you described...thank you for that. I am pretty sure the torque tube or whatever that is called does take hydraulic fluid, but if I am wrong please let me know so that I don't cause damage.

  4. #4Juskatla2015-06-18 19:47

    On A 580CK with the power shuttle, the shuttle and convertor use Case TCH or today, Case Hytran Ultra, not regular hydraulic fluid like in the loader/hoe reservoir. Originally both were Case TCH. A complete fluid and filter change on all systems is in order with anything 'new to you' so that you have that as a starting point. Sounds like you have the dry clutch and not the convertor, so different than m machine. Lots of CKs around still and members here with knowledge of them post from time to time.

  5. #5Grady2015-06-19 21:32

    I didn't realize that the 580 ck was available with the power shuttle. Mine is a '69 or a '70 and has the 4 speed tranny with a separate hi/low range shifter and the forward/reverse shuttle is manual, no torque converter. they all require use of the clutch. I just picked up a 1980 580c that has the 4 speed but no hi/low range shifter but it has a torque converter so it's semi-auto. I'm pretty sure the manual shuttle on the '69 uses the same hypoid as the tranny and differential but I'd have to check the manual to be sure. Juskatia is right about the Case fluid for the power shuttle. I had to do a lot of work to the rear end of mine back in the '80s when I first got it. Bull gears, etc. I was told that the rear ends are the weak link in the 580ck. I was advised not to use the front bucket to dig or push with as it's not a dozer. It was meant to load loose fill or dirt that the hoe has dug out. I agree with starting out by changing all the fluids. Good luck, it's a great machine.

  6. #6can26522015-09-15 15:58

    I have a Case 580B CK with the 188D engine and the power shuttle drive train. The tractor wouldn't move forward and only slightly in reverse. Opened the shuttle drive and found that the small radial roller bearings in the forward clutch have broken and the race is sitting in the bottom of the shuttle case. I have split the tractor at the bell housing and have removed the torque converter. But I am unable to split the shuttle from the transmission. I have removed all of the bolts and the shuttle case has moved forward about 5/8 of an inch but won't go any further. I assume that the clutch shaft should be a sliding splined fit onto the transmission input shaft but they are solidly stuck together. Am I missing a spring clip or something that holds the two together or have the bits of bearing race jammed in the shafts. I can turn the shafts by prying on the forward clutch drive gear but they just won't come apart. Any thoughts on how to split these?

  7. #7580 B2015-09-16 19:40

    I recently split my 580B, which is similar to the 580CK. Once the gasket broke loose, the torque tube just slid apart from the transmission case. The reverser shaft is a splined fit on the transmission main shaft. Nothing else retaining the shafts. Note that the clutch pack should stay behind when splitting the cases. With moving the cases 5/8" apart, can you tell if the reverser shaft has started to separate from the main shaft? Or is the clutch pack being dragged along with the transmission case? Should be some shims between the two shafts.

  8. #8can26522015-09-16 21:27

    Thanks, I suspected that was the case. My PDF manual doesn't show anything actually holding the shafts together. So I'm guessing that some of the bearing race have gotten jammed in the shaft joint. Just have to pull harder I guess.....until something gives.

  9. #9LittleCub5802019-08-24 11:55

    Help! So I have a 580b CK with power shuttle. Yesterday it was acting funny and not wanting to go up any inclines. Came back this morning to change out the fluids, started it up and doesn’t want to move at all now. Only thing I can tell that’s changed is clutch pressure. Still new to these machines so just looking for what steps I should be taking next? Thanks!

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2019-08-24 21:39

    Does clutch pressure drop when you push the pedal in? Does clutch pressure change when you shift from forward to reverse? How much oil is in torque tube? If you lift rear wheels off the ground will they turn when you put shuttle in gear?

  11. #11LittleCub5802019-08-24 21:52

    Clutch pressure drops when you push the pedal and when released it slowly starts going back up but won’t get back to green. I wasn’t able to notice any major difference when shifting between forward and reverse while on the ground. When I lifted it up the tires spun in reverse but not forward. Oil level was just above full mark and a milky looking. When I went to drain it the plug was stripped so I’m still working on a way to get that off.

  12. #12Mike Ellis2020-07-18 21:57

    I am very interesting in how this was resolved, my situation is the same. Bought my 1968 580 CK 3 months ago, have operated it for about 8-10 hrs, found myself having to rock it back and forth on the slightest of inclines, and pulling myself onto level ground with the hoe. I changed most of the fluids and filters, hydraulic, both fuel filters, engine oil filter, but still cannot find the shuttle filter that some say is in front of the radiator (I see hoses, and what appears to be a pump but nowhere to change a filter (3rd picture below). Took a long time to find the shuttle dipstick but after some powerwashing it appeared (first picture below). Fluids are topped up but no idea of their effectiveness so I'd like to drain and refill, but cannot find the drain bolt. Picture 2 below is what I see under the tractor, but I don't know where the drain bolt is? Could sure use some help or advice, thank you.

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2020-07-19 07:29

    Is there a valve on top of your transmission housing under the fuel tank? Post a photo of shuttle cover just in front of four speed shifter. It sounds like you may have a mechanical shuttle instead of a power shuttle. Post a photo of serial number (should be a tag on right side of steering column just under steering wheel.

  14. #14Mike Ellis2020-07-19 09:53

    Wow, fast response, thank you. Here are the numbers from my manual: Tractor 33 4198508 Backhoe 26 5002409 and 580CK 8657611. On the cover of the binder holding the manual together it reads 580CK 8657611 with "case580cksmi Version 1.0a" typed below that number. Have posted pics below, hopefully enough for you to go on, if not let me know, I will make a run to the property build site today, and get more pics. Pic 1 is what I thought the filter for this machine should be, thought I could drop the shuttle or transmission pan? and install it... Pic 2 is the area in front of the 4 speed shifter, and remaining pics are of the area I think you're talking about "valve on top of transmission housing under fuel tank" but I don't know. I have lots of time today, could get more pics (will clean more oil and gunk before taking pics if that helps).

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2020-07-19 19:24

    You have a mechanical shuttle, it has a dry clutch like a truck. Do you have any free travel in clutch pedal, if not then try and adjust your clutch pedal travel. Clutch may be bad though and not able to adjust properly. You actually have eight speeds with this type of transmission. You have a high and low lever with forward and reverse in the shuttle and then four speeds in the transaxle. The first picture is the strainer for the 580C through early K series machines.

  16. #16Mike Ellis2020-07-19 20:01

    Ok well thank you very much. Fairly certain there is an inch or more of play in the clutch pedal, but will double check. I remember reading on other posts here on how to adjust that. Would be nice if its that simple. My understanding is that the clutch is a costly replacement, but less than a bad transmission I'd guess. As for that strainer, then its not for my machine? When I found it online I was excited.. thinking ok.. I'm not a mechanic but this looks manageable... pull the housing off, clean filter or replace, apply silicon to the pan like a gasket and refill the fluids... drove the 45 minutes to the build site, couldn't find the pan, and still can't find the drain plug... I can still use the machine, sort of... but really don't want to until I get this resolved to avoid further damage. Which sucks, because the Well drilling guys are coming in two weeks and I'm currently clearing by hand with chainsaw, would be so much easier to have the machine in fair working order. I will also try to switch from Low to High range and see if I can get any movement. I usually only use 1st and 2nd in low for the work I've been doing. Thank again for your help, much appreciated.

  17. #17Mike Ellis2020-07-23 09:23

    Could someone please confirm that it is Lube Oil (like 85/140W or similar grade) that goes in both Hex Dipsticks in the picture below, please. The 12" hexnut dipstick at the bottom left of pic under the Seat (screwdriver pointing to it) is I think the differential. The forward right side hex short dipstick I already filled a week ago, not entirely sure what that part is, just thought it was the transmission? Dealership guy says Gear Oil in both spots, but also says its the same chamber, which didn't make sense, and when I pulled up the schematic from the parts manual you guys linked me to, it shows a baffle wall separating the chamber in 2 which would explain 2 dipsticks... Heading out to drain and refill this now, about an hour drive. Could really use some help, thank you p.s. picture 2 shows the 12" dipstick, fillmark not visible in the pic but its about 2" from the bottom of dipstick, whereas the fluid as you can see is completely overfilled to the brim... may not be the reason tractor stopped moving, but surely does not help the situation. Could really use advice on if its Lube Oil for both spots, thank you.

  18. #18Grady2020-07-27 00:13

    I have a 580CK with the manual shuttle. I remember one of the career Case mechanics saying that all the shuttles used TCH fluid. I thought it took gear oil since its a gear box but apparently not. I put gear oil in mine a long time ago because I didn't know better and never had any problems with it but I'd use what the factory calls for if I was you. The rear end is probably filled with water and that is why it appears to be so full. Try loosening the drain plug a little and see if water doesn't seep out through the threads. Don't loosen it too much unless you are prepared for what may happen.

  19. #19Mike Ellis2020-07-27 08:20

    Thank you Grady. I drained the differential and added the proper amount of gear lube. The location next to the shifter, I had already changed a few weeks ago, but I put gear oil there as well, so I'll be draining that and refilling it with TCH (HyTrans) today or tomorrow. Thanks for your input, it all helps.

  20. #20Mike Tarkington2020-08-01 12:37

    I am helping Mike out with this tractor. I'm a heavy equipment tech, but I'm not overly versed in these old girls. It is definitely a mechanical and there is no power to the wheels. Just want to be sure we aren't missing anything else. The clutch pedal has the required play making sure the clutch is fully engaged. I suppose as long as we have a range selected and a gear then if there is no power it is the clutch slipping..... I do see one valve under the fuel tank and I have no clue what it is. Mike posted a pic of it. Could there be anything else causing the issues?

  21. #21Coy Lancaster2020-08-02 21:55

    As Rob stated in his first post he would start the machine with clutch in and in gear and machine would start moving with clutch in, and if he started the machine with shuttle in neutral then he couldn't shift into gear. It really sounds like you have clutch issues and will probably need a new one.