I recently purchased a case 580ck diesel model 33. It has a 4 speed with shuttle shift. It will move about 30 feet then I can watch the clutch pressure gauge drop to zero. If I put the shuttle shift lever in neutral it builds pressure and will move again but the process repeats itself. Any info would be appreciated. I’m reading a lot about the pick up screen getting clogged but supposedly that was checked prior to me purchasing it.
Is reverse doing the same thing as forward?
Yes it is.
Have you checked the filter for shuttle in front of radiator? When the machine stops moving do you hear cavitation in the shuttle cooling lines?
When it stops moving I don’t hear anything, however when the machine is first started there is a loud auction noise that slowly goes away. It sounds like when power steering in a car has no or very low fluid. I was told that was a normal sound and that it was sucking the fluid up from the transmission. It will also go away if I slightly push on the clutch pedal.
Have you checked the filter?? The feller responding to your questions is pretty good at this. Pay attention.
I apologize, no, I have not yet checked the filter.
Have you checked fluid level?
I haven’t checked it myself, I was told it had been changed right before I bought it. I purchased an online manual for it but I don’t think all the sections were included. From some things I read online, correct me if I’m wrong is there a certain procedure when refilling the trans? Does it have to be in a certain gear?
It doesn't have to be in any certain gear just engine off, dip stick is located on the right side of square plate on just in front of the four speed shifter.
Ok, I will check that first tomorrow, then I will check the filter in front of the radiator and post my findings. Thank you for your help.
So I’m checking what you said on the machine. The trans fluid level is ok, it might be a little over full but it is parked on a slight slope. I unbolted the top of the canister where it says the filter is and there is not even a filter inside.
It doesn’t surprise me that there was no filter. The bad thing is that there should be a bypass valve there so you’ll have to try and find one of those also.
The valve you are referring to, is it in this picture?
Yeah you’ll need items 7,8&9
Took the day off and was able to locate and “borrow” a bypass valve and I got a new filter from Napa. Put everything together and made a circle around the property and pressure dropped again. I was able to get it on somewhat level ground and rechecked the fluid level. It is ok and I noticed it looked a little frothy. I also noticed now with the filter installed it seems to want to grind a little bit shifting into first and second.
It sounds like you may have a suction tube that has a crack or a restriction.
Am I able to remove the tube thru the top of the transmission by taking the shuttle valve and top transmission plate off?
Yes
Suggestion: Very clean before you take it apart, Extremely clean when putting it back together.