Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580CK Steering Cylinders

cjw1234 · 2023-03-19 20:53

Hi all, I am putting new seals in my steering cylinders on my 580ck. The kit came with all pieces besides the actual piston seal. The part number for the piston ‘assembly,’ which is the piston and single O-ring, is A36395. Does anyone have a part number for just the o-ring? The parts manual only lists the ‘assembly.’ A secondary question is: Currently the piston o-ring looks good to the eye, but no idea on its age. The reason for the resealing is the glands were leaking. the piston only has one sealing o-ring, and currently the piston slides very easy in the bore, not like a normal hydraulic piston. Both cylinders are the same. My thought was maybe it’s meant to be that way so that fluid can bypass to relieve pressure. Any thoughts on that?

Replies12
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-03-20 09:51

    The piston and "O" ring are only available as an assembly. The o ring should not allow fluid to get past it.

  2. #2cjw12342023-03-20 09:59

    The little piston assembly is $100 each from one online seller I can find. That sounds ridiculous as cheap replacement cylinders aren't much more in the grand scheme. I don't see why the o-ring couldnt be replaced by itself if I had the proper dimensions. I wish I had a hydraulic shop closer

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-03-20 11:02

    I agree. It seems like a terrible rip-off. I purchased a couple of them through the years. If you replace the o ring and it doesn't have the same composition as an OEM it could create a problem. Especially of the piston rubs the barrel and sends shavings into the hydraulic system.

  4. #4cjw12342023-03-20 11:06

    Absolutely agree, and yeah it would need to be the type of material like you said. An actual oem one is still available at the cost of $128 plus tax and shipping. You can buy a whole new Chinese cylinder for that price with tie rods.

  5. #5'70580ck2023-03-20 11:43

    I just registered in order to reply. The piston seal is unavailable as you found out but e-backhoeparts sells a replacement o-ring and backer ring for about $5 per piston. Very nice people to deal with as well.

  6. #6cjw12342023-03-20 11:51

    Oh really? Would you happen to have a link as I don't have a part number. I wonder how it works compared to the original seal. I would be concerned that a regular rubber o-ring would possibly come apart and end up in the steering valve or pump

  7. #7cjw12342023-03-20 12:00

    I called them up and they knew the part off the top of their head, I couldn't believe it. Ordered it right away. For $10 in parts I am going to see what comes before going further. Super helpful people.

  8. #8Tinkerer2023-03-20 16:38

    Please keep us updated. Dale Wiess is an unbelievable help. I never gave a thought about emailing him about those pistons when I needed them. I have been buying parts from him for 20 years. https://e-backhoeparts.com/contact_us

  9. #9'70580ck2023-03-20 18:05

    Let us know how it works out

  10. #10cjw12342023-03-20 19:27

    Absolutely. I spoke a woman and told her the year and that it was a CK and she had the part number on the top of her head. I’ll definitely be buying more stuff from them as I need it.

  11. #11Tinkerer2023-03-21 18:59

    That was most likely Dale's sister. Her name is Debbie.

  12. #12cjw12342023-04-04 20:30

    The o-rings came and cylinders back together and all seems well. Dale and Debbie were super helpful. So helpful in fact I ended up buying a bunch more stuff because their quality of service was so fantastic. Definitely recommend them. And anyone who is redoing their 580ck steering cylinders can call them to get the seals you need for an A36395 piston