I thought this may not work and it didn’t! I’m trying to remove the kingpin to replace it all with new parts. For heat I had the cutting torch which made the spindle plenty hot but for *pushing power* all’s I had was a big piece of rod and a 2lb hand sledge. Even after getting the cast iron spindle pretty hot (how hot is hot enough, not sure) and hammering down on the punch , it didn’t budge. Tomorrow I’ll get a bottle Jack and see if I can’t push it upwards from the bottom against the weight of the backhoe. I’m really hoping to not have to remove the entire front axle and put it in a hydraulic press so hopefully the bottle Jack method will get it. Any suggestions?
The weight of the backhoe will not be enough if it is that tight, you maybe could configure a way to push on the pin with a jack and chain arrangement to make a press of sorts, on top you would need to make something that the chain could saddle over that the pin could come up through. you would need to start with a 20 ton jack. I have never tried this just throwing it out there for your consideration. If you do this use a very good chain, at least 3/8 and be careful. if you have any doubts about safety take it off and get it pressed out.
Just in case. Did you remove the pin lock?
Pin lock bolt is out.
Use a bigger hammer. Maybe try a 12 lber next.
...and a couple of guys so once you get it hot you can take turns with the sledge,
Put some cribbing under the axle to prevent bounce and get a bigger hammer would be my advice.
A torch is less work.
How hot is it ok to make that spindle , do I need to proceed cautiously with the torch? I have plenty of acetylene.
Can you cut the pin off here to get assembly off and then press pin out
When I did the kingpins on my C as well as several "well used" yard horses and a few older trucks, after all else failed and I couldn't swing a big hammer any more..I cut the kingpin to remove the spindle (with torch) ,then carefully, to protect the spindle and torch tip as well, slowly burn the center out of the pin, then once you have a decent hole through the middle the heat will let you either drive it out with BFH and stout pin or air hammer....takes a little time, but works like a charm, and actually burns less gas than a rosebud trying to get that mother hot enough...