Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580G 2wd shuttle rebuild

Eric a1cnc · 2025-03-25 13:30

Hi all, I am buying a 580G 2wd with extendahoe that will need the shuttle rebuilt. It lost forward but still has reverse. Does anyone know who would carry the parts? I am just starting to investigate the parts. It is a pretty low hour machine, under 4k hours. Any info I can get would be helpful, Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-03-26 05:52

    I got my shuttle kit and tourqe converter (reman) from Broken Tractor. I am not familiar with the G series. One thing I didn’t care for is that the Premier kit, did not include any seals needed for the clutch cut out solenoid or rod.

  2. #2Eric a1cnc2025-03-26 07:49

    Thanks for the info, How long did it take you for the rebuild? Does it work correctly now after you rebuilt it?

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-03-26 08:22

    Took me 2 days as it was the first and hopefully the only time. Wasn’t that bad and yours will be easier as it’s 2 wheel drive. Went slow, had to look around for ways to press some stuff out and right size spacers and bushings to hammer on. Took me awhile to get the torque converter lines up, we have another member on here making a 3d tool to line it up. Evidently, it’s real easy to break or ruin the tabs on the torque converter. Actually, not as heavy as I thought. Spent half a day getting set up to use a transmission jack and in the end, wasn’t really needed. Did probably make it safer though. Did block the crap out of it and that was another thing I probably could’ve skipped. Works great and has all the power you could need out of a 35 year old machine now. Will say when it gets really hot, still doesn’t pull out a hole in 2nd gear with a load in the bucket but probably shouldn’t be doing that anyway. lol Real good video on YouTube for a 580 SE that I watched a bit. Oh, have a big work area and lots of table space and keep everything super clean. Don‘t forget to flush out oil cooler and lines and while you are at it, replace tranny lines.

  4. #4Eric a1cnc2025-03-26 08:34

    Wow, Thanks for the detailed reply! I appreciate it. I watched a good video last night and I have all the tools. The shuttle is already out of the machine so that's the easiest part of the job for me. From what I have been told from the Case parts desk the shuttle should be the same as D,E, and K machines.

  5. #5Eric a1cnc2025-03-26 13:51

    Can anyone tell me if I can run the machine with the shuttle removed? I want to raise the bucket and the backhoe to get it moved

  6. #6stinky642025-03-26 16:09

    When I did the shuttle on my C took 2 days as well 1 day to remove, clean disassemble and inspect, make sure you've got all the parts. 2nd day reassemble, install and make 'er go. Was in no hurry. Think I got my kit, including new pump from reliable aftermarket parts, everything was in kit for full rebuild. Do you have service manual for that new treasure? Couple of real important procedures and tolerances to follow. Think my kit came with 5 different thickness snap rings for forward clutch pack and ya gotta make sure that's right or a do-over is in your future. Like Harley said get a big table to lay everything out and make sure CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN before reassembly. Lube everything when you're reassembling as well. Keep the kids and pets away from table as well so nothing is disturbed or disappears. Don't really know about running without shuttle, you can run an engine on a stand right? That is not a yes. You can just try turning engine over with loader control lever pulled to get bucket off the ground enough to move. Neither one of those procedures will work very well if the hyd. system is low or hasn't worked in a while. When is the last time that beast was active?

  7. #7Eric a1cnc2025-03-26 18:32

    Well good news, The owner used the starter and raised the bucket and the hoe for me enough to move it. No manual yet. was looking last night but haven't found one for the G yet. Was told it was run last fall and the tractor only has 3300 hrs. I am going to take the shuttle in the shop and it will have it's own bench for rebuilding

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-03-27 07:15

    I can tell you it’s way easier than any TH 400 or 4L40 I’ve rebuilt, the biggest issue was finding stuff like big ass sockets or slugs to hammer on and press on. After I got it all done, I finally found my Ball Joint press kit and that had probably 90% of stuff I could have used.

  9. #9Eric a1cnc2025-03-27 11:54

    Thanks, I have a ball joint press kit, and a machine shop so hopefully that part will be easy