Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k 4wd steering cylinder

LINDELL CRUISE ยท 2019-01-19 15:34

What do I need to know to disassemble the steering cylinder so I can replace seals?

Replies27
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-01-19 16:19

    Welcome to HEF Lindell ! You need to get a service manual. You can get it here -----> https://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/B...als/CASE 580K SERVICE MANUAL/Case 580K SM.pdf Be sure to download it to your computer.

  2. #2alrman2019-01-19 18:43

    The trickiest part of this job is undoing the tie rod ends from the cylinder rod. You will need to grind down an open ender to make it thin enough to engage the two machined flat surfaces on each end of the steering cylinder rod. They can be quite tight to undo & both the threads on the cylinder rod are RH. **TIP - turn the steering to full lock as you undo each side - this will give you room to work from the outside of the machine instead of underneath. (You won't find this info in the manual)

  3. #3LINDELL CRUISE2019-01-19 20:15

    Spot on advice. Thanks. I already got that far. Now trying to take the end caps off the cylinder. LH end has 3 hollow-head bolts that take 14mm Allen wrench, RH end takes 8mm. Can't budge even with impact wrench. Looking for suggestions. The cylinder is part of the casting between the U-joint and front axle. (It's a 1989 model).

  4. #4alrman2019-01-20 02:36

    Your particular configuration is not one that I've had the pleasure to deal with. Usually with a tight allen headed bolt, as you describe, I would use a tapered punch that fits inside the hollow hex & give it a severe talking to with a 2lb hammer. If it still wont respond to reason, apply some heat with an oxy torch, just in case some imbecile who assembled it thought some Loctite was required. Then use the tapered punch again. Bolts of that size should yield to that sort of treatment.......

  5. #5LINDELL CRUISE2019-01-20 07:45

    Thank you. I had a similar suggestion from a neighbor who is a retired machinist. I'll try the punch, 2# hammer and heat next. I appreciate this forum.

  6. #6Elmer Fud2019-03-13 16:15

    I have 580K 4WD leaking steering cyl also but it does not look like the diagram and I cant find one like it in the manuals. It is a 3 bolt like yours and one end looks like it has a flange nut with two slots in it that's the end that wouls be directly connected to the cyl itself. I would attach pics but I cant figure out how. My issue is that before I tear into it I want to get the seals but there appears to be two versions with different cyl diam. I was told you could figure out what axle house/carrier and then you would know but the only #s I can find don't match anything, house #19162 carrier #18649. Also need to know where I can get seals at reasonable price. Thanks

  7. #7Elmer Fud2019-03-13 16:16
  8. #8Coy Lancaster2019-03-13 21:06

    Heat the head of the bolt with a torch, and I don't mean a flash light lol.

  9. #9alrman2019-03-14 18:56

    @Elmer Fud Well, it would seem you need to measure your cylinder to confirm which one you have. You may need to order the original kit - just grin & bear it ......

  10. #10Elmer Fud2019-03-15 12:50

    Thanks, Lindell, where did you get your seal kit, PN, what was included, etc.

  11. #11Elmer Fud2019-03-15 13:11

    Alrman, I can't find the disassembly instructions for this type cyl. Know where to find it? Thanks

  12. #12Tinkerer2019-03-15 15:46

    This is from the service manual. 580k phase III. You really need to buy the manual. I can only post 4 images per post due to HEF limitations.

  13. #13Elmer Fud2019-03-15 17:04

    Thanks Tinkerer, this will help me get started when I can make sure I can get the parts. The Case parts guy said they don't make the seal kits anymore, I found new old stock kit for $180, a lot of $ for a handful of seals.

  14. #14Tinkerer2019-03-15 20:13

    Your parts guy is full of b**ls***t ! Call or email Dale Wiess. Go here ------> http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/

  15. #15HWParts2019-03-25 17:39

    If you haven't found seals yet for your 580K 4WD cylinder, we have the kit available for the 4-bolt gland style. https://hwpartstore.com/products/case-580k-4wd-steering-seal-kit-4-bolt-gland The three bolt gland takes a N14622 kit that we do not sell.

  16. #16emmett5182021-04-25 05:55

    Every fastener on my tractor seems to have been installed by King Kong on steroids. Breaker bars have been my friend.

  17. #17Dirtman592024-05-24 20:05

    How does the gland ends break lose from the cylinder I've got the three Allen head screws out but not having any luck with the gland ends

  18. #18Dirtman592024-05-25 18:17

    I'm unable to get anything to separate from housing on either side?

  19. #19Coy Lancaster2024-05-25 18:35

    Send photo of your cylinder

  20. #20Dirtman592024-05-25 19:06
  21. #21Dirtman592024-05-25 19:23

    I'm not sure how these come apart I don't want to break the housing... After getting the bolts out I tried cranking the machine and turned the steering wheel both ways thinking maybe the pressure would push them off but no luck ..tried air chisel no luck hammer no luck pipe wrench but haven't found the right combination??

  22. #22Dirtman592024-05-25 19:27

    I've looked on line for manual or pdf to download haven't found this type cylinder breakdown yet

  23. #23Dirtman592024-05-25 19:38
  24. #24Dirtman592024-05-25 21:06
  25. #25Tinkerer2024-05-25 22:27

    FRONT DRIVE AXLE, STEERING CYLINDER | CASE Construction | MyCNH US Store Find schematics, manuals, specifications and diagrams for FRONT DRIVE AXLE, STEERING CYLINDER. Find genuine OEM parts for your needs. www.mycnhstore.com Why is the hydraulic line on it if you are taking the gland off ?

  26. #26alrman2024-05-27 00:41

    The bolts you have removed retain the entire steering cylinder to the axle housing. Chances are, it has rusted itself in the housing & will be quite a challenge to remove. I would try to unscrew the gland marked below (using a hook spanner) to get the rod & piston out of the cylinder. Remove the seals on each side, clean, install new seals, refit gland. There are full instructions to do this on page 1 of this post - with the entire cylinder out of the axle housing on a bench.

  27. #27perkitm2025-09-14 11:13

    Did you have any luck on this? I have one just like it that is leaking badly and I want to have everything I need to get it done. I have the seals but walking through the process.