Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K fuel injector pump leaking

newdesertfox ยท 2018-10-30 12:26

I was digging yesterday and all the sudden noticed a different sound in the engine, turned around and saw that I was billowing smoke out of the stack (normally little to no smoke) opened up the hood trying to figure it out and saw a decent amount of diesel dripping off the pump. powered down let it dry out and then restarted trying to figure out the smoke/no power and gurgley engine noise and saw exactly where the fuel was leaking out of. Had enough loss of power that raising a stab at a little over idle stalled the engine and had to go to 50% power to raise it. Drove it back and on the way to the parking it stopped smoking and I regained all my power, but its still leaking fuel. Anyone have experience in rebuilding/repairing the seals in them? It appears to be a lucas CAV pump on a 4-390 engine and I'll upload pictures. Anyone have a ballpark on what it would cost to have it professionally serviced? Its small enough that I could probably ship it to a good shop if I knew where to send it so curious

Replies7
  1. #1newdesertfox2018-10-30 12:27
  2. #2Delmer2018-10-30 12:42

    You can do that yourself or send it to thepumpguy. Either way, you probably want his advice first.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-10-30 22:15

    I sent u a PM.. "sometimes" they can be fixed on the machine.. just by removing the top cover..& replacing the orings.. OTHER TIMES the aluminum cover is grooved from the steel throttle shaft & require the cover to be reamed & a Teflon bushing installed along w/ new orings.. Ebay sellers have mini top cover kits for around 12.00.. 4 orings, a tc gasket & 2 fiber washers that go under the 2 top nuts.. for the DIY crowd.

  4. #4newdesertfox2019-04-22 20:56

    Late follow up but a follow up non the less, sent the pump to Thepumpguysc and he did an excellent job repairing it and making it run like new, gained at least an additional 15% -20% power to the machine from what it had before he worked on it

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-04-23 08:48

    Thanks ND Fox..

  6. #6alrman2019-04-23 20:01

    That's another $50 spotters fee @thepumpguysc owes HEF!

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-04-24 06:37