Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580k need guidance on problems found

Jake1965 · 2023-09-05 08:40

I finally found some time to work with the backhoe. In doing so I’ve discovered some issues that I am concerned with. When I run the tractor in first and second gear I don’t have any problems it seems to work well when I shift to third or fourth gear it seems to slip pretty bad. What should I start looking at here to determine what the problem is, could it be fluid issue? Maybe they put the wrong fluid in, could it be a filter issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also it seems that my water temperature and oil temperature gauges are not working. When I turn the key they don’t seem to deflect at all. When running the backhoe, they never come off the low points. Any suggestions as to where to start troubleshoot the gauges?

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2023-09-05 19:11

    Re 3rd & 4th - it depends what you are doing in these gears - at road speed 4th basically wont drive up any hills, you need to downshift to third & sometimes 2nd. A stall test will help you to diagnose if you a shuttle problem. Re the temp gauges, with ign on, disconnect the wire on the sender & ground it - the gauge will move if it is OK. The engine temp sender may need replacing. The transmission temp gauge will never really move unless the oil is seriously overheating - they are just made that way.

  2. #2Jake19652023-09-05 23:06

    Airman thanks for the help, I will give this a try!