Got a 89 phase 1 580k 4x4. Problem is no brakes, had perfect brakes when parked & the next day got on it & pedal hit the floor boards. Master cylinder was full, no obvious signs of a leak anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Both pedals going to the floor ? TCH fluid in the master cylinders ? Fluid level in the master cylinder drop after repeated pedal depressions ?
Both pedals go to the floor. As far as the TCH fluid in the master cylinders, I’m not positive. I’ve never added anything to it, it’s always been full of something. It has a lid on the reservoir that says DOT 3 brake fluid. The fluid level never drops no matter how many times you depress the pedals. Nothing changes except the brakes doesn’t work.
There is no 580K series 1. The first generation was simply a 580K. Just to be sure of which K you have, is the serial number JJG00200000 or above ? That is when the 580K Series 2 were introduced by Case. There is a difference in the brake systems in them.
Didn’t know they wasn’t a phase 1 before phase 2 came out. My Service manual say 580K Phase 1. But yes it’s just slightly before that serial #
My understanding is only phase 1 and phase 3 phase 1 with shifter out of the floor,phase 3 on the right hand side of console that’s the one I have.
It could be phase 1 & 3. I can’t remember to be 100% positive. But I know my manuals say phase 1 & yes my shifter is in the floor not on the side console.
My bad ! I have never quoted myself before. But I did tonight because I should proof read my comments better. I made my #2 RED because it should have been a 3. Phase 3 started at serial number JJG00200000 and above. Steve is correct, the Phase 3 shifter is on the RH console.
Ahhh I was talking about a phase 2 also when I meant a phase 3. But I do know mine is a phase 1 with the shifter in the floor.
Case had a problem using those blue plastic master cylinder caps with the dot 3 writing on them....... hopeless purchasing officer of that era I suppose.... they covered their tracks by clipping in a small cardboard warning under the electrical contacts for the low oil sensor. It stated to use mineral oil only ..... & most of them have long ago dissolved, leaving people who don't know any better tipping dot 3 into their mineral oil designed brake system. Whether that has happened to this machine or not - if the reservoir is full the pedals should build some pressure. If they aren't building any pressure, then you will need to rekit the master cylinders & maybe the two slaves as well.
Yes the master cylinders stay full but absolutely doesn’t build pressure.
Alrman said that there should be no brake fluid in the brake systems. If there is it destroys all of the soft components in the master cylinders and the slave cylinders that actuate the brakes. You need to rebuild (reseal) all 4 of the cylinders and a through flush of the lines. In some situations it is cheaper to replace the master cylinders than redo them.