My 580K Phase 1 shift lever broke off right at the boot on the top of the transmission. Not at the lever/linkage at the floor of the cab, but the other end, on the top of the trans. I think I can pull it and have Little brother weld it back together. A new one is nearly $180. I searched and haven't found this to be a common failure. Anything else I should be worried about with this breaking? The unit doesn't shift really easy, but I was surprised it broke, it didn't feel that tight.
Yes it has been done before on several machines in my area, have found some detents and synchro causing strain on the tower while shifting. Would weld it after removel, always let the owner say if they wanted to go deep to fix, most just say weld and go. Never had one come back after welding.
Thanks for the info Sheepfoot.