Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K stuck in 1st gear

whatwas · 2019-06-14 17:20

My 580K (4WD phase 3 shifter on side console) has 7500 hrs and has always needed a firm hand to engage 1st and 2nd gear but has always worked. It now is in first and the shifter moves freely (too freely) between 1st and 2nd but stays in first. If you shift to 3rd or 4th than the trans locks up, seems to be engaged in two gears at once. I'm thinking the trans shifter fork/internal linkage has broke or slipped out of position. I need help to inspect or confirm whats not right.

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-06-15 12:18

    Sounds like you have a broken shifter fork. You’ll have to remove tranny and pull front cover to check it out.

  2. #2whatwas2019-06-15 18:53

    Thanks for the reply Coy. Is there somewhere online where I can get access a service manual or buy one. Looking at the manual that I got with the tractor, its for a unit with the shifter on the floor.

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-06-15 21:04

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...kw=Case+580K+Phase+3+Service++Manual&_sacat=0 The one from Malaysia looks decent for $19.99.

  4. #4alrman2019-06-15 21:35

    @whatwas - I would be taking a close look at the selector control operation, under the machine, while having someone move the gearshift - before you just pull it apart. MinnPar list a free service manual for the SK - HERE

  5. #5mitch5042019-06-15 22:24

    I would pull the rods off the shift linkage on the side of the transaxle and see what it felt like with a pair of channellocks, too. worn sk shifters will hang up

  6. #6whatwas2019-08-18 20:16

    ok, so it took me awhile but I dropped the transaxle and turned it up on its back to remove the the end plate. I found the 1st-2nd gear shifter shaft had the end plate weld broke . The price for a new one was crazy ($1264 Can.) so I cleaned it up and re-welded it, fingers crossed. I got everything back together and the shifting feels good, better than before, but need to get the case brake TCH oil and bleed the brakes. so any tips on finishing this project off would be much appreciated. Thanks

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2019-08-18 22:11

    Good luck