Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K swing tower pivot shimming

Worksdirt · 2024-03-30 15:17

Hi Folks, I’m wanting to tighten up the hoe on my 580K. I’ll be replacing some pins and bushings but it’s the vertical play I’m confused about. Is it the lower frame pivot that is meant to carry the weight of the hoe through the swing tower? It’s the only pin that has a Thrust Washer. Case Service Manual says to install flat washer as required for 1.5-4.5 mm clearance between upper pin and boom latch (with latch in the down position). Seems to me that won’t help with vertical play but may be just be to align linkage for sequencing valve?

Replies4
  1. #1Worksdirt2024-03-30 15:19

    Thanks in advance and Happy Easter all

  2. #2Worksdirt2024-03-30 16:00

    Does the lower frame pivot carry all the weight and you shim the lower to get the upper centred in the tower opening ? What does shimming the top of upper pin accomplish?

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-03-31 11:23

    Yes the washer takes up a bit of vertical play and you should have a washer in there from factory but usually the pins wear out and the bushings wear the worst. The washer really doesn’t do much.

  4. #4Worksdirt2024-04-04 08:17

    Thanks Harley Happy, Mine is a 580K Phase III and from all the documentation I can find the swing tower is assembled identical to a 580SK and not a 580K. But both only show a very thin washer/shim under the snap ring on the top pivot pin. No other washer/shims on upper pin. Anyone know clearances/procedure for how much to shim top and bottom. I want it tight but not too tight. Here is pic of 580SK swing tower.