I am putting chains on my 580K for winter snow clearing. Dealer says to NOT put chains on front wheels as drive train isn't strong enough and the chains will tear something up. I've heard both sides of this issue and I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience. By the way, I plan to reverse the rear wheels inside to outside and left to right (to keep the tread pattern the same).
You only need rear chains IMO. If your moving snow and your front tires slide, relase the brake pedal lock, and steer it with the right and left pedals. Works well. I don't really uderstand why you have to reverse the tires? Unless they were mounted on the rim in the wrong direction. It really doesn't matter when you have chains any way.
Equip guy Thanks for the reply. Good idea to unlock the pedals-I wouldn't have thought of that beforehand-I would have learnned the hard way. The reason I reversed the wheels is there is not enough clearance between the tire and chassis for chains, and the wheel offset gives more clearance when the wheels are reversed.
I have chains on the rear of my 580k. I didn't do anything to the wheels except new tires.... Much better traction.
Your welcome mbavers, glad to help. One thing to keep in mind when you get chains is that when you give your tire size to the company you'll buy from the chain size is based on new tire dimensions so the chain will go all around. If or when your tire lugs/bars (tread) is really worn down, you may have to take a couple of links out as you will have too much slack on chain, All I did was lay chains out flat on floor with flat side of cross bar chain loop facing up, put stabilizers down to get tire just off the ground, put machine in neutral, and pull chain over the tire. If there are cross bar links over lapping the first, then mark where last bar ends to make complete go around, cut off with grinder/cut off wheel just enough so you have two or three side chain links to attatch with your hooks. The chain should be tight on the tire, to minimize chain rubbing on tires and excess slapping around rear fender. Just keep the links you removed and get two add a kinks for when you get new tires. Good luck.
Pixie: Do you have 19.5L-24 tires on your K? I tried chains on mine once without reversing the wheels and there was not enough clearance between the frame and tire to get the chain on. I just reversed my wheels and it looks like there is plenty of room now. Only thing is, I have to crawl under to get to the valve stems! (never thought of that)
Thanks. I've done enough removing cross links on chains that I'm going to order a spreader tool to ease that most difficult part of the job.
LOL Iknow what you mean. I did the same last year. Hope all works out for you.