I have a 580K serial JJG003XXXX. The lever assembly for first and second gear broke inside the transaxle. I have ordered a replacement and need to remove the front housing cover. This 580k has four wheel drive and hoping I can remove the housing cover with the drive attached. Has anyone replaced this lever and able to share some information before I get started taking it apart? Any help will be greatly appreciated. So far I have removed the 4 wheel front drive shaft, The linkage to the mechanical front drive engage lever and the drive shaft to the transaxle. There is a line entry in between the mechanical front drive and the transaxle cover with a rubber boot on it. Have not traced it out yet to determine how its removed. It has a clamp over it holding it into position and attached with a bracket to the transavle cover.
I have obtained a service manual which answered most of my questions except one. Once I have the transaxle removed and positioned to disassemle. Does the transfer gearbox and parking brake housing have to be removed from the transmission end cover? Or can i lift it off all together?
The transfer "box" will need to come off first - followed by the park brake housing. If you don't do it this way, you wont be able to line up the park brake discs during reassembly ..... The discs will likely need replacing, along with the 4wd selector fingers
Thank you for your help. We will start removing everything tomorrow.
I have several young men who have adopted me like a father. One is very strong, but doesn't know it. If it won't slip into gear it obviously needs more force. I've had the mechanism broken outside the transmission a couple times. I have training sessions with Andy. I try to teach him that earthmoving machines are not as strong as he, he must be gentle. Treat them like kittens. All kidding aside, first confirm your problem is inside the transmission. If it is, hopefully the problem is in the shift rails, and not too deep. I'm hoping it is outside the transmission, an easier fix. Willie