Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K will not turn over.

peteb ยท 2014-12-18 16:30

I parked my 580K went back two days later and it will not start. Up until then it started every time for two years. I had battery checked and replaced. Starter is two years old. Tested neutral start switch it is OK. There is some liquid in the connectors near the neutral start switch. Does Case put some anti oxidation chem in connectors? I hear a very faint whine that seems to be coming from the relays next to the hydraulic reservoir when I turn the key. Any help would be great

Replies11
  1. #1jimg9842014-12-18 17:03

    check main ground from battery to system ground,, negetive test lead to frame also drive train of course to negetive on battery

  2. #2Delmer2014-12-18 18:12

    No cranking? put a volt meter on the battery or the starter and try to start it, then move the leads until you find where the voltage stops.

  3. #3john hofer2014-12-18 20:27

    Myself, i would take all the main cables apart and clean them,like replacing them,they-ii thank you

  4. #4melben2014-12-18 20:28

    I'm with the post about where cleaning and brightening up where the battery ground strap connects to the frame. I travelled 40 miles on road service once to a 580 that did the same, lost all lights in dash but everything came back when you stepped on the step to get in the cab. Cleaned and brightened the frame and put new bolt in. If you find that to be the problem I would advise no lockwasher, I use flats exclusively in that application, also a little grease may hold down corrosion. Let us know how it goes. The way I test for a bad ground is to put the clip of a good testlight to a good ground and see if it lights on the negative battery terminal. I have seen instances where the battery terminal would not light but going directly to the post on the battery would, indicating a corroded terminal. Otherwise start where you know you have voltage and work toward where you lose it. As others have posted, the plug in terminals along the frame can get corrosion so you crawl under and check them, I have had some issues back behind the transaxle where the big main harnesses plug together so bear that in mind also. Those units had some issues with internal harness breakdowns and I have added new wires on several as harness replacement cost were 5-6 hundred dollars and my customers were satisfied with a work a round to get going reasonably. If you do the test lite trick have some one trying to start it while you test as sometimes the circuit will carry the testlight load but break down when heavy starter current is required. Mel

  5. #5alrman2014-12-18 20:45

    Welcome to HEF peteb! There are two relays located under the fuel filler lid - starter & return to dig. Try swapping them before you get too bogged down in other stuff.

  6. #6melben2014-12-19 08:18

    Good point alr, I guess sometimes we just head to what has given us the most grief, not sure which sn's but some of those relays were mounted low on the harness on the same side but accessed from underneath. Mel.

  7. #7peteb2014-12-19 14:05

    Thanks everyone. Checked and cleaned the grounds. The machine started right up. Ran it for 15 minutes. Turned it off. Tried start again, started to engage starter then all went off. Working on it. Thanks again.

  8. #8Bill Smith2014-12-20 08:36

    Its amazing what mice can do to wire insulation after a few days when parked in a field

  9. #9peteb2014-12-20 11:30

    Spent some time removing pine cones from around the neutral start switch but did not suppose squirrels would damage wiring. Still making check suggested here. Thanks

  10. #10hosspuller2014-12-20 12:24

    Squirrels around my house enjoy pine cones more than acorns. I find pine cones eaten like corn on the cob under the trees. Unless you've been working in a pine forest, figure out how the pine cones got there ... When you're done... go here to join the club.. :tong http://squirrelsatemywiring.com/

  11. #11mitch5042014-12-20 20:18

    I guess it's true..... Everything is on the internet!