Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580M series 2 fuel in oil

S.Savage · 2023-05-14 15:05

I have a 2004 580M leaking fuel into the oil.. I have no idea what to do next.. help

Replies17
  1. #1Billrog2023-05-14 15:52

    Primer pump diaphragm ?

  2. #2S.Savage2023-05-14 16:36

    I will try that 1st.. that doesn't seem to hard to change.. I'm hopeful it's not the injection pump.. I'm a little intimated pulling the pump..

  3. #3thepumpguysc2023-05-14 21:34

    If it is the front seal on the inj pump.. it’s not a bad job as long as you have the proper tools.. U need an engine turning tool and a small gear puller..

  4. #4S.Savage2023-05-15 05:23

    Ok.. thank you.. I have another question.. I bought it yesterday in the Bahamas.. where it is and where I'm at is about 40 miles.. Can I road it to my land.. or do I need to have it pulled down..

  5. #5S.Savage2023-05-15 05:25

    Oh what kind engine turning tool.. like a pry bar ?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2023-05-15 11:19

    Your engine should be a Case/Cummins (CDC) .. Look up Cummins engine barring tool.. it’s an external. splined socket that engages the flywheel and has a cut out on the other end for a 1/2” drive ratchet.. Best idea ever.!!

  7. #7joe--h2023-05-15 14:33

    A 40 mile trip with a crankcase full of diesel strikes me as a very poor idea. Joe H

  8. #8thepumpguysc2023-05-15 15:01

    Lol.. I think the answer to your question is NO.. Not only no.. but HELL NO.!! Lol

  9. #9S.Savage2023-05-15 17:22

    Lol.. thank you .. I got it hauled down here today.. gonna start messing with it tomorrow.. thanks again for everyone's help

  10. #10S.Savage2023-05-20 07:19

    Is the barring tool universal for Cummins? Or is the there one made for 580m ?

  11. #11thepumpguysc2023-05-20 11:25

    If u have a Cummins B or C engine, there’s 1 tool. Google: “Cummins engine barring tool”

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2023-05-23 09:24

    Is the injection pump mounted on the front or rear of engine?

  13. #13S.Savage2023-05-23 17:54

    It's on the back. It's a CNH pump.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2023-05-23 19:04

    Ok, you actually have an Iveco engine. Those IP's are known to self destruct. There is an access plate on the back of the bellhousing it has three bolts 10mm head. You will need a small puller such as a steering wheel puller to pull the drive gear on pump, it's held on with a nut I think it's like 7/8" or 22mm. The barring tool mentioned in prior chats won't work on this engine. But you can turn it either by using the front crank pulley. Case does make a special tool that goes in place of the starter and using a barring tool. There is a timing pin under the IP. There was a service bulletin on timing the engine because some of the timing pins were drilled wrong. But just get the pump off and get it fixed.

  15. #15alrman2023-05-24 22:03

    I might add.....These injector pumps have no woodruff key to locate the timing gear, so it is critical to set the engine to TDC using the timing pin (which you will have to buy or make) BEFORE you remove the injector pump. The IP when repaired, will come back to you locked in the TDC position ready for installation. - Just don't forget to UN-lock the pump after install!

  16. #16alrman2023-05-25 16:32

    I should say, it's well worth inspecting & replacing the primer/lift pump before you give the injection pump any attention.

  17. #17S.Savage2023-05-25 19:16

    Yes.. I'm going to replace the lift primer 1st. Hopefully that fixes it.. I'm back in the states ordered a lift primer and front power steering seals for it today.