Look just to the left of the small fuel filter to see the tube coming down behind. It is just open down at the bottom of the engine. (Part of this tube is black.) What is this? I thought in might be a crankcase vent, but I cannot identify it in the engine parts list. Mine has a small amount of oil dripping down and I would like to know what this might indicate if abnormal, or anything to be concerned with.
Yes that is the crankcase breather hose. They usually are damp and will just seem to keep the end of the hose wet enough to collect a little dirt. I wouldnt worry about it to much unless there is a lot of smoke/vapors and oil coming out which is a sign of to much blowby from worn rings or piston/cylinder damage or wear.
Many thanks. It's not leaking enough then to worry. I have not noticed any smoke but I will check this.