Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SE Parking Brake Switch

bowen ยท 2012-02-19 08:25

I am wanting to add a parking brake alarm and I don't think mine ever had one. I would like to see a photo on where/how the microswitch mounts. I can find that they use a small microswitch like the RTD limit, but it's not clear where to mount this. The parts diagram I have is of no help. Page 142 shows item 15 not available or some kit with no price. I could make a bracket if I could see how it needs to be mounted. I don't even know if it mounts down underneath.

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2012-02-20 07:25

    Don't think I've ever seen a 580E with such a set up bowen, but if I were going to set one up, a bracket would be attatched to the red cable bolts & switch would be activated by the green lever. Lets those creative juices flow bowen......... minor problem for a man of your determination PS - keep away from clearing any scrub as the switch/wiring will probably not last too long .........

  2. #2bowen2012-02-20 07:57

    This little drawings shows two options but looking underneath it's not clear to me what mounts where. You are trying to talk me outta adding this because it will be torn off anyway after I go thru one briarpatch...:cussing It would be better protected back behind the plate. My brake seems to be hard to release. The cable up top has to be kinda "pushed down" to release the brakes.

  3. #3alrman2012-02-20 08:07

    YUP . .. but you seem to like workin on your hoe, it's your call....... If the park brake handle needs pushing down to release, the cable is binding. You could try some lube, often a waste of time, sometimes it helps, but a new cable will definitely make it better.

  4. #4Goose2012-02-20 19:15

    Here is what I have done in the past to hook up a parkbrake warning on the older machine. This lever is off of a 580K. It has a mount built into the handle for a switch item 23. It will replace the lever on your machine or you might be ableadapt you lever over to accept the switch.

  5. #5bowen2012-02-21 06:38

    Goose that style switch is ~$ 26. The wire would be better protected here. However a new lever assy like this is near $160. If I added the alarm plus the pressure switch like they show I would have close to $300 in parts for this thing. I just need to take all this out/apart and determine what to do. I find stuff easier to fix if I tear it all the way apart.. It's actually a pretty fine adjustment here. The circuit shows N/C and when the cable is all the way down it makes the limit to prove off. For my situation I want to know if my cable is in a bind and not totally releasing the pads. If I can't get my cable working free I will replace the cable. I think alrman is saying to replace the cable, don't add the alarm just PAY ATTENTION MATE! :guns (I think just the cable is $87) It looks like a parking brake pad would never wear out but you read here all the time where they do. This means... A) They are not properly releasing all the way from the disc. B) Operators forget to put the handle down. Just to upset Mel let me add that I contemplated wiring this new switch to engage the clutch solenoid. No buzzer. Brake on = clutch engage = no go. No warm up procedure, no leaks... J/K I will not try this; that 4 amp solenoid would run the battery down quickly with just the switch on.