So I finally hit my first real head-scratcher on the new backhoe. After idling for 10 mintues and the machine is up to temp it will not restart after I shut it off. It sounds like a low battery the way it's trying to turn and barely getting a roation, but the battery is all good. If I let is sit for awhile it fire back up with no issues or feeling of being "bogged down" while cranking. My first 'victory' was charging the battery as after charging it the machine started again as normal, but now I see it was the time sitting on charger that cleared whatever was stopping me (pressure or vacuum) and not the actual charge. My best guess is a vacuum or pressure issue somewhere that's bogging me down. With the oil neck open I can hear a hiss with each rotation. I've been reading about shutoff relays and possible fuel line issues, had no vacuum/pressure in the fuel tank when lifting the lid and got flow out of the lower banjo bolt above the filters when I cracked it, but no real mention of any pressure hissing out. EDIT: I've let it sit long enough for everything to be cool. Nothing is even remotely warm and it's still choked out, so I dont think a temp thing. Is this a problem that sounds familiar to anyone? I have no experience with the diesel world, if that wasn;t obvious already. Thanks for reading that wall of text.
Unbutton the top button on your shirt and try again. I seriously doubt this is an engine problem, it could be a hydraulic control not centering, but it is most likely an electrical problem. If a diesel engine doesn't spin rapidly, it WILL NOT start. It could be a battery cable breaking down and giving high resistance when hot, or a starter issue. It could also be a battery starting to go bad. Start checking voltage down the primary starter circuit when it is trying to turn, and see if you get a sudden drop somewhere. First check battery voltage, then check voltage at the starter.
I did not think to inspect the cable itself. Appreciate the reply and advice. I'm also interested in your mention of a control not centering. My loader drifts on it's own after use and has to be manually recentered to stop it. I had no idea that would have an effect on start if it were not centered. Will look into both first sun tomorrow.