Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SE startup after 9 months

syndy ยท 2012-05-08 17:13

We will be heading up to NC real soon to uncover the Case, install the resealed boom cylinder and get it running. My plan is to get the cylinder and new hoses installed, install the battery then check all the fluids, prime the lift pump, inspect for rat damage and turn the key. Is there anything I am leaving out that should be done before startup?? Is there any reason to think it won't kick right over??? Appreciate any ideas to make it easier to get er going.

Replies2
  1. #1bowen2012-05-09 05:44

    I would be concerned about the old fuel, rust in the tank etc. At some point I would consider draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel. Then maybe changing the fuel filters at some point after you are sure the tank is clean. I added some Seafoam to mine which is supposed to help clean it, but I think new filters should be on there before or soon after adding the conditioner. I would also want the oil/filter changed soon after you get the thing warmed up.

  2. #2syndy2012-05-09 07:28

    Thanks bowen, I think I have those areas covered. I bought the backhoe last Aug and it was serviced including all the filters and engine oil change. I topped off the fuel when I covered it after using it for a week. I also put in a fuel additive to hopefully keep the fuel good. I am also taking up a generator and air compressor just in case I have tire problems. I also plan on putting the hydraulic line on the base of the boom cylinder in fluid as I draw out the rod to connect the other end filling the cylinder part way. I hope this helps get the air out faster. The machine has 2900 hours on it and was used mostly to build homes by a small builder. In the week that I was able to use it, it started up with a touch of the key and I am hoping this continues.