Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580sl Question about removing the engine.

Doug580l ยท 2018-11-24 12:40

According to the service manual, I am supposed to drain the hydraulic fluid when removing the engine. Is that really necessary? I was planning on changing the fluid and filter after re-installing the engine in case any debris founds its way in during the process. I'm not experienced doing this so I am planning to follow the service manual as close as possible but this doesn't make sense to me. Thanks, Doug

Replies13
  1. #1Welder Dave2018-11-24 13:19

    Draining the fluid means you don't have plug every single hose you have to disconnect, especially the suction line to the pump. You may have to completely remove hoses like that. How do stop from having a big mess of oil everywhere?

  2. #2alrman2018-11-24 15:22

    Technically, the tank is lower than the hydraulic pump, so you wouldn't really need to drain it. But, if you were going to do it during the course of the job ...... you'd drain it for the engine removal wouldn't you?

  3. #3Doug580l2018-11-24 15:23

    Thanks for the reply, From what I can tell the only hydraulic hoses to be removed are the ones going to the pump. I changed the pump this year and didn't have an issue with fluid leaking. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Thanks, Doug

  4. #4Doug580l2018-11-24 15:27

    Ya, my thought was that I would run the machine for an hour or so after re-installing the engine to get any debris to the filter and heat up the fluid before changing it. Thanks, Doug

  5. #5alrman2018-11-24 15:37

    Doug, If there is any debris that enters the suction pipe, it has to go through the pump & the loader control valve before going to the filter. Ideally, you just want to clean the entire work area & be very particular about NOT letting any debris into that suction hose area at all. Curious, why are you pulling the engine?

  6. #6Doug580l2018-11-24 15:50

    I will be as careful as possible keeping the debris out. I just finished pressure washing the engine and engine compartment to make it a little cleaner to start with. I'm removing the engine because there are cracks on both sides of the frame that need to be welded and I can't get to them with the engine in. Also, while the engine is out I'm going to inspect all hoses, lines etc. and replace any questionable ones since they will be easier to get to. Thanks, Doug

  7. #7alrman2018-11-24 15:54

    Ahh! Been there, done that..... Hope it all goes to plan for you

  8. #8Doug580l2018-11-24 15:59

    Thanks, I appreciate it. Most likely I'll be back here asking for help again before I'm through.

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2018-11-24 18:38

    When you reinstall engine and before you crank it up for the first time with hyd. pump attached you need to pressurize the hyd. tank so the pump won't be dry, when engine starts.

  10. #10Welder Dave2018-11-24 23:25

    I didn't realize the hyd. tank is lower than the inlet. If oil won't flow out, you could probably leave it filled.

  11. #11Doug580l2018-11-27 09:22

    Is there an easy way to pressurize the tank? I did it once by cutting up an old inner tube at the valve stem and used a hose clamp to connect it to the tank opening. It leaked pretty bad but it did work. I just had to hurry and get it started before all the pressure leaked out. Maybe I should just get a remote starter.

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2018-12-01 08:57

    There is a plug in the back of the hyd. tank, remove the battery box cover and you'll see it there. You can adapt fittings to pressurize the tank, I always used a shutoff valve so I wouldn't over pressurize the tank. Sorry for the late reply.

  13. #13Doug580l2018-12-08 11:53

    Thanks, I took the cover off and found it.